North Korean Shoulderboards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

North Korean Shoulderboards?

A 60-something man in my southern New Jersey town asked if I could identify these shoulderboards that his father brought back from the Korean War. His father told him that he killed a North Korean/Chinese officer with a .45 pistol and took these shoulderboards and a sword from him (he also has the sword). Can anyone identify the rank and country of these boards? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Barry
    Attached Files

for the ranks i guess its maybe a rank equivalent to a lieutenant?

Comment

These Shoulder boards look like the Japanese Police from WW2.

Comment

If his dad is still alive and said they were taken from a North Korean, I feel pretty strongly it would be North Korean. there are Korean members here, but do they have any familiarity with the ranks on boards.??

Comment

Finnishlion142 is correct, its Japanese Police.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_enforcement_in_Japan

http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/kougun1/54369810.html

Comment

The Japanese occupied all of Korea pre Korean war. I lived in a former Japanese compound while stationed there with the 2nd ID.
            Jerry

Comment

Shoulder boards

I have two different shoulder boards like these myself. I have only seen pictures of these boards with one, two or three rising sun stars. There is also a cap badge that matches the boards.

I have a few books on Japanese Police uniforms and insignias but they are not pictured in them.

One suggestion is that they were used by the Police musical band before 1946.

http://www.ladda-upp.se/bilder/tawrpeznwrvat/
              Last edited by Gismo; 11-13-2015, 04:32 AM. Reason: Spelling error.

Comment

Mystery solved.

For those interested what these shoulder boards are
                I am happy to inform that they are indeed for the Japanese
                Police but in Korea.

The book I have probably only cover the uniforms and insignias of domestic Japan
                and not conquered areas.

The model year is probably 1918 when pointed shoulder boards were worn.
                In 1932 the shoulder boards changed style from pointed to the Russian style.
                However, for formal use, pointed boards were still in use for lower ranks.

Drawings provided shows only the boards in b/w so it is difficult to tell
                if the boards are for casual use in 1918 or for formal use in 1932.

The credit for providing this information goes entirely to Nick Komiya
                who was kind to take time to dig up the information from the Japan Center of Historical Records.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X