UniformsNSDAP

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Image of a Marine taken about 23 miles from the Chosin Reservoir...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Image of a Marine taken about 23 miles from the Chosin Reservoir...

Five years ago, my sister and I were out visiting my dad at the family farm in Northwest Illinois. We stopped at a little roadhouse type bar-restaurant-country store, sat at the bar and ordered a sandwich and beer. As I looked around, I noticed a framed photo of a soldier holding a carbine hanging on a nail behind the old bar. I asked the bartender who the fellow was and he said it was his dad taken in Korea in 1950. I asked if his Dad was still living and he said yes, that he was in the backroom doing some work. When his dad came out, I struck up a conversation with him about the picture.
    He said he had served in Korea, and that he had landed with the Marines at Inchon. He said they shattered the North Korean Army and then started heading North. He said they all thought the war would be over soon and they would be home by Christmas 1950. In the North (what is now North Korea) he and some of his buddies stopped in a small town (Hamhung ?) and had their pictures taken which is where this was taken.
    We all know what happened next - it turned nasty cold and the Chinese attacked in a massive way. He said he barely escaped with his life.

The old fellow felt comfortably with me and he allowed me to take the photo out of the frame and get a quick copy made in town.
    I have the guys name but I am intentionally leaving it out of this discussion as I don't have permission from him to publicly say his name here.

I thought the story and photo were extremely interesting and thought I would share it here. Notice the loaded magazines that are taped together for quick feeding.
    Kim

Thanks for sharing this story with us....
    Sometime happens that you go in a public place and see some war related memorabilia....sometime we really hear great stories...

Comment

Great photo and story, glad he made it out alive!....mike

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X