Bringback DPRK flags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bringback DPRK flags

So I've been interested in the Korean war for quite some time, but haven't been able to find a bringback DPRK flag. I was wondering what all I should look out for when buying originals, and how much should I expect to pay for one (money isn't an issue, but I wouldn't want to ridiculously overpay). How do I determine if a piece is original pre-1954? Also, this will complete my 20th century enemy flag collection.

Thanks in advance!!!
    Josh

Good luck on that. I am not being sarcastic; I am serious.
    I have been collecting for 45+ years and I have seen two, I repeat, two sets of items from the Korean conflict!!!
    One set of items were American propaganda leaflets that were fired out of cannon barrels into North Korean positions.
    The other set of items were a North Korean propaganda leaflet, being shot into South Korean positions and two cloth red stars off of North Korean hats.
    That's it! Nobody wanted to bring anything back apparently.
    Good luck in your search!!!
    Tim

Comment

Yes, DPRK stuff seems to be super rare. I have seen a few bringback weapons, and a few super rough flags, but I have no idea how to spot an original or not. Would it be about the same as VC flags, where they're all pretty much handmade?

Comment

about DPRK flags ???

Originally posted by Josh Beckett View Post
        ...haven't been able to find a bringback DPRK flag.
        ...what all I should look out for when buying originals,
        and how much should I expect to pay for one ...Josh
        Hello JB:
        See
        WAF threads t=502660, t=450528 , & t=64536.
        OFW

Last edited by oldflagswanted; 11-08-2014, 10:47 AM.
        sigpic
        .......^^^ .................... some of my collection ...................... ^^^...

Comment

Flags...

A few years back a reputable seller on ebay had 2 North Korean flags, I saved the pictures for future reference.
          I really regret not getting these, I was outbid ...and I think they sold for around $450.
          The story was that a war correspondent brought them back.

I took photo's to a Korean gentlemen in my neighborhood for translation when I was doing my research on them. I seem to remember that he said they are from the Wonsan http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/e...nof/wonsan.htm area in North Korea. I figured picked up during the amphibious landings there in October 1950.
          Attached Files

Comment

flags

pics
            Attached Files

Comment

pics

Last pics
              Attached Files

Comment

Those two flags are gorgeous!!! The Soviet one has Japanese style reinforcement tabs.

I definitely would've tried to get these two. I think Korean war stuff is underappreciated. I almost never see any Korean war stuff in museums.

Comment

Here's a very large flag I was able to get a couple of years ago. It is a deteriorating silk material and is 6 feet long as I recall. Unfortunately it was further damaged by the USPS in shipping to me. I put it away and don't handle it.

I had a smaller one with bright colors but I stupidly sold it around 1999. I also have a 91/30 rifle and a TT-33 Tokarev pistol. But Korean War items are hard hard hard to find. (I'm still looking for a KW bringback 91/30 sniper but don't hold out hope of ever finding one in this lifetime!)
                  Attached Files

Comment

That is a gorgeous flag you have there!!! I like the ones that have that battle worn look. It's a shame the post office damaged it further. What do Korean War bringback papers look like?

Comment

Originally posted by Josh Beckett View Post
                      That is a gorgeous flag you have there!!! I like the ones that have that battle worn look. It's a shame the post office damaged it further. What do Korean War bringback papers look like?
                      This is the capture paper on one I had that I recently sold. The other rifle and bayonet that I still have does not have capture papers; however it does have a letter from the vet, a retired Colonel. I also have a book on the battle where he is pictured and mentioned, and he sent me several other photos. Sorry, but I did crop out the stamp on the bottom of the capture paper. I know at least one dealer who has had fake stamps made for Vietnam capture papers, and his fakes are all over. I'd hate for that to happen with Korean War docs, though they would be harder to fake.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Thank you for the pics. It looks like they're still pre-dd form 603. We had to fill out capture documents for bringing home captured enemy equipment (including shrapnel). However most CO's didn't feel like doing them so for the most part no bringbacks for us, other than what people bought or what we mailed home that the post office folks didn't care about.

Finally got a beautiful bringback North Korean flag thanks to another member (as well as a bringback silk soviet flag from the DPRK). I also won a 70's era North Korean banner (made in DDR, for what I couldn't tell you, but I'd hazard a guess that there aren't many around).

Korean and Vietnam stuff is fairly underrated (and this is coming from someone who primarily collects Japanese stuff).

Comment

Glad to hear you found a flag!...any photos you can share?....mike

Comment

Yep, I'll probably get some pics after I have it framed. I also have a Korean war captured DPRK made Soviet flag (got it from the same seller). Now I just need to find a Chinese flag and I'll be set.

Comment

north korean

Two original wartime North korean flags passed through ebay in the last month or so. Sold for top money. Real ones I add...

Jim

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X