Book: Nothing To Envy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Book: Nothing To Envy

Not a book about the war but one I think alot of people here would find an interesting read is 'Nothing To Envy: Real Lives In North Korea'. I started it this week and I'm finding it hard to put down. Fascinating human-interest book that tells the story of various defectors from North Korea who have been interviewed by the author (Barbara Demick).
    Those who tell their story of what their life was like in the country, especially during the famine and total collapse of the economy, range from those in the lowest and least trusted caste of people to doctors who embraced the regime and believed themselves to be trusted and covers all aspects of living, working and relationships in the closed country. They also explain the events in their lives that saw them start to doubt the things they were being told by the regime and the reasons for defection. In the case of the Dr, she embraced the regime and believed herself to be trusted but then one day found her name on a list that her superior kept that listed her as being one who needed to be watched carefully.

It really is a fascinating read and one I would definitely recommend.

Are the stories written in first person, oral history style, or or they told in the third person by the journalist?

JL

Comment

Originally posted by Jean-Loup View Post
      Are the stories written in first person, oral history style, or or they told in the third person by the journalist?

JL
      It is a combination of the two with the narrative as written by the journalist being the more predominant. I've just finished it and it was interesting to read of how the defectors managed to settle in, some initially longing to go back to North Korea!

Comment

"the narrative as written by the journalist being the more predominant"

I find it difficult to read third person naratives by journalists, otherwise I would have bought the book as it looks good.

Comment

I know Mrs Demick writings since she was correspondant in the ex Yugoslavia at the time of the Balkans wars and I find her very interesting as journalist. By the way I noticed that the italian edition is out of print! :-(
          Last edited by Tora_Tora_Tora!; 08-28-2014, 10:25 PM.

Comment

It is really incredible.....the italian edition , released in 2010, is already OOP!!! It is virtually and materially incredible to see that so interesting books are not available but you can find in book shops tons of junk.
            No comment.

Comment

Originally posted by Tora_Tora_Tora! View Post
              It is really incredible.....the italian edition , released in 2010, is already OOP!!! It is virtually and materially incredible to see that so interesting books are not available but you can find in book shops tons of junk.
              No comment.
              FOUND A COPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              It is simply marvellous....

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X