DMZ Collecting Market?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DMZ Collecting Market?

Is there a big collectors market for items regarding the Joint Security Area and the DMZ in Korea? In the past couple of months I was able to get a hold of a couple of North Korean badges and a couple of South Korean MP brassards from the JSA but I've only ever once seen a South Korean helmet like the type worn on the DMZ. I was wondering what the state of the collectors market if any is on this subject. Thanks for the assistance!

DMZ items

Speaking as a retired Active Duty Infantryman that spent five tours on the DMZ as well as from the standpoint of being a militaria collector for 45 years, I think that most people to include a lot of collectors really don't have much exposure or knowledge (other than MASH) about Korea, what the DMZ actually is and what it was when US forces ran the missions in the US sector. So overall I think the interest is rather limited simply because people just don't know much about it. Very interesting period for sure and I'm proud to have experienced it firsthand.
    Kration

Retired 11 Bravo
    1/9 Inf Camp Greaves
    1/31 Inf Camp Howze (when P.F.C. Joseph P White defected Aug 26-82)
    1/503 Inf Camp Hovey
    1/5 Inf Camp Hovey
    1/38 Inf Camp Hovey
    Attached Files
    Last edited by kration; 01-09-2014, 07:52 AM.

Comment

I agree. Outside those of us who have conducted missions on the DMZ or worked within the JSA very little is known. I have seen almost no literature about the Korean DMZ.

Scouts Out!
      AUTHOR OF:

sigpic

GERMAN ARMY SHOULDER STRAPS AND BOARDS - 1933-1945

Comment

Gentlemen,

Thanks for your responses. I have only a couple pieces from the DMZ a South Korean MP arm brassard and a couple of North Korean badges. It is interesting because it is the last hold out from the Cold War and surprisingly many Cold War collectors seem to overlook that the Cold War continues across the Korean peninsula even though there is no more USSR.

Comment

I'd be interested in seeing what you have if you want to post pics.
          AUTHOR OF:

sigpic

GERMAN ARMY SHOULDER STRAPS AND BOARDS - 1933-1945

Comment

TJ, when I get home from the office this evening I will take pictures of what I have regarding the Korean peninsula and share.

Comment

I have these and that's about it....
              Attached Files

Comment

This one makes a good reference to the DMZ, but is much earlier than the two scrolls in a previous post
                Attached Files

Comment

ROK Army MP Brassard worn on the JSA

Comment

Here are a couple of North Korean military awards that I have in my collection.

Comment

Comment

I both served on the DMZ and collect related militaria. There is a market for the stuff but it isn't a huge one nor does the stuff command big prices. That being said, Im always looking for JSA scolls, MP brassards and Imjin Scout patches ( got mine in 1991 ) There is a seller on ebay who regularly lists brassards but I don't think they are real ones, I think they are done up for tourists. I had a whole bunch of stuff I pillaged from GP Oulette ( Signs, flags etc etc) as we were told we were going to be the last US unit sent up to the GP. This turned out to be untrue but it was too late, I had already stripped the joint of anything I could stuff in my duffel bag. Unfortunately all that stuff was lost when my baggage went missing during my PCS move. I guess the joke was on me.

Comment

Originally posted by tredhed2 View Post
                          I have these and that's about it....
                          The green JSA scroll is pretty early actually. Its the very first design. The green and yellow colors are related to Military Police BOS colors as actual MPs originally manned the JSA. Later (not sure of the date ) the scroll colors were changed to the current sky blue and white.

Comment

RedCatcher are those NK badges the Soviet Screw back or Pin back versions ???

Comment

Originally posted by TJ Suter View Post
                              I agree. Outside those of us who have conducted missions on the DMZ or worked within the JSA very little is known. I have seen almost no literature about the Korean DMZ.

Scouts Out!
                              Agree. So often I hear not only news media people but supposed "Asia experts" refer to the "border" between North and South Korea. There is no international border between the two but just a DMZ established by a military armistice. Neither government (DPRK or ROK) accepts the DMZ as an international border since neither one recognizes the other as a separate nation state.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X