Japanese Tanks in Korean War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese Tanks in Korean War

I saw a few vague internet references to the IJN Type 95 Ha-Go tank being used by the ROK army in the Korean War. The Wiki page states that the Chinese army used them as well, and that the Type 97 Chi-Ha was used by the ROK, DPRK, and Chinese. I started looking into this, but could only find unsupported references.

This all goes against what I'd always read regarding the nascent ROK army at the outbreak of the war, which is that the USA purposely denied them their own armor. It's news to me also about the communists using these vehicles in Korea.

Anyone have any info regarding Japanese tanks used by either side?

Originally posted by Michael Page View Post
    This all goes against what I'd always read regarding the nascent ROK army at the outbreak of the war, which is that the USA purposely denied them their own armor.
    So, the US didn't allow ROK to have any tanks? And why was it denied?

The Chinese (CCP) did have Japanese weapons given to them by the Soviets after 1945 to help them out in the civil war.

Comment

Originally posted by hc8mm View Post
      When the US created the ROK army, they didn't want them to have the capability of launching any incursions into the north.

Comment

I don't think Japanese tanks were used with any seriousness during the War by either side lack of a trained crew, lack of ammo the fact these tanks were already 5-10 years old , the terrain is very much poor tank country, and in 1950 the So. Koreans were not a well maintained fighting force as they are now. I have seen the Museum in Seoul and saw the foreign tanks that were left behind and doubt if either side used them for any thing other than in a static nature. Kinda like having a big dog in your front yard with no teeth .
        This is only my opinion and not based on any facts just opinion.
        I was a tanker there 40+ years ago.
        Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by hc8mm View Post

The Chinese (CCP) did have Japanese weapons given to them by the Soviets after 1945 to help them out in the civil war.
          The Chinese had plenty of Japanese weapons and gear before the Soviets gave them anything. I have seen Japanese rifles used by Chinese and Koreans (both sides), but I've never seen any Korean War era photos of Japanese tanks in use.

Most Japanese tanks were already obsolete in WW2, plus the communists had plenty of surplus T-34s available. Not saying it couldn't have happened, but I doubt Japanese tanks had any serious use in Korea.

Comment

Never heard of Japanese tanks were used in the Korean War.
            After Japan surrendered, many Type 97 Chi-Ha medium tanks were used by the PRC forces. Chi-Ha tank was one of the main workhorses of the PRC during the Chinese Civil War (1946~1950). I once read a book on Mao Zedong that without the Japanese tanks, the Communist Chinese can' t win the war. Not sure if that's true.

Taka

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X