Ranger beret

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ranger beret

Here is a nice example of a Ranger beret issued to MSG D.A. Harris of the 11th Ranger Company (ABN). Notice the cloth edge of the beret as opposed to the more modern leather. This beret I have on display at the Ranger Hall of Fame located at the Ranger Training Brigade, Fort Benning. Alan
    Attached Files

Hi Alan. What does the interior liner look like or does it have one?

Comment

Lloyd, there is no liner present and doesn't appear as if it had one. I'll take a pic the next time I am out at RTB. Alan

Comment

Man thats cool!....what years were these worn?.....mike

Comment

Mike, the first black berets were worn by rangers in the third ranger training cycle, Jan 51. Photographs of 10th and 11th Ranger Companies wearing berets exsist while conducting mountain training in April 51. In July 51, both companies arrived in Japan where 10th Company was told to remove the unauthorized head gear. Neither company would see combat being deactivated in Sep 51. A very good history of Korean War Rangers is Rangers In Korea by Robert Black. Bob was a Korean War ranger and Vietnam vet who retired a colonel. He has published many histories of rangers. Mike

Comment

Thanks Alan. I wore two different beret styles while I was in so I kind of have a soft spot for them. Never saw one before with the cloth band and that one is killer with the jump oval and tab. Great that you let RTB display this piece of history.

Comment

Guys, Since the genesis of the black beret began with its first use in the Ranger Training Command I thought I would expand on this topic a little. After the Korean War the Ranger Department continued to wear the black beret with varying insignia until 2001 when all US Army Rangers changed to the tan beret.

Here are pics (please aprdon the poor quality) of the different beret and insignia worn by the department and the Ranger Training Brigade.

Left - right...In the late 50's - early 60's the beret insignia included an unofficial crest which includes the Confederate battle flag...worn by CSM Neal Gentry, first CSM of 1st Bn 75th Infantry (Ranger), co-writer of the Ranger creed, and member of the Ranger Hall of Fame.

Beret worn by MSG Aubrey Batts, early 70's, Ranger Hall of Fame.
              Beret worn by MSG John Minatra, c. 69-74, DSC - DakTo, Ranger Hall of Fame.

Second pic...worn by CSM Eddie Roberts, c. 79-82
              Beret worn by CSM Mike Kelso, 1999-2001, Ranger Hall of Fame.

In 2001 the Army directed that all Soldeirs wear the black beret. The Ranger community began to wear the tan beret.
              Attached Files

Comment

Great memories. Clearly recall RTB's wearing the tab on them CL 8/83. I still have a few of mine and PC's when I was INF there.

1-75 RGR

82-85 & 95-97

-Ray-

Comment

Ray, thanks for the comment. I was in 1-75, 79-82. Alan

Comment

I wonder if any of the Ranger Department Cadre in the 50s had been in the Airborne in WWII? I would guess so.

Interestingly after Operation Dragoon in Southern France lots of troopers adopted the black beret as U/A headgear. Michele DeTres has scads of photos of Airborne wearing them in his book 1st Allied Task Force. They wore them with their wings and sometimes with wing backing as a flash.

Great post
                    Gus

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X