Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greek Expeditionary Force insignia question

Hi all!

It's my first post in this forum and I would like to ask a question about the insignia worn by a soldier of the GEF on this photo, taken during a visit in Tokyo in 1953. It is part of a grouping consisting of his medals, ribbon bars, insignia and some other photos. He is the man on the left.

What I find interesting -and uncomprehensible- is the fact that he is wearing the badge of the 7th Cavalry Regiment on his right breast pocket, while he is bearing the 3rd Infantry Division patch on his arm.

The GEF was initially attached to the 1st Cavalry Division, 7th Cavalry Regiment and then to the 3rd Infantry Division, 15th Infantry Regiment. Both Regiments' badges are present in the man's grouping, but it seems that he was wearing the "wrong" one in 1953, a whole year after the GEF had been attached to the 3rd ID.

What's more confusing to me is the fact that he was wearing slip-on badges of the 15th IR on his shoulder tabs. That's more clearly observed on another photo.

Was it a non-regulation matter of personal choice or is there another reason that I am not aware of?

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,
    Giorgos

How about "he was a typical GI and wore what he could get away with?"

His 3rd ID SSI isn't worn correctly either - looks point up.

Comment

Originally posted by tredhed2 View Post

Thanks for the reply! Hadn't noticed the SSI!

Best regards,
      Giorgos

Comment

Originally posted by tredhed2 View Post

Agreed. Or did'nt, look at the Dogface on the right, CIB 2nd award without affiliated WW II/Korean War/UN ribbons??? Even though this could be credible back then since some awards were not established/authorized for wear, or available until after the conflict.

By this time any WW II Infantry vet would have at the very minimum a Theater Campaign Ribbon, and WW II Victory Medal.

-Ray-
        Last edited by -Ray-; 06-22-2012, 03:44 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X