40th Infantry Division in Korea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

40th Infantry Division in Korea

As I live in CA, another area of collecting interest is the 40th ID, our state NG division.

Since they trained in Japan for a while, many of the GIs assigned to this division helped brighten my day by having some incredible insignia made there.

While I am sure they exist for the 160th and 224th IRs (hint, hint) I have found these for the 223rd and the 40th Recon Co.

As always, comments welcome.
    Attached Files

more 223rd.....
    Attached Files

Comment

40th Rcn Co
      Attached Files

Comment

The 40th was one of two NG divs in Korea which had Ranger companies assigned to them (the other was the 45th out of Oklahoma).

The other patch is an unknown to me. Have checked numerous times w/ the three regiments, and no one has a clue whether as to Raider, or BP, or I & R.....

This is a another nice Japanese made insignia, as are all the others previously posted.
        Attached Files

Comment

Nice collection for an underated kick ass Division from WW I, II, Korea, Watts riots, Desert Storm, Bosnia, Kosovo, and Afghanistan.

No intent to get the thread era off track, but I have an affiliated lineage by proudly serving in the 40th I.D. at one time as a "Commo-Maggot" with the 240th SIG BN. San Pedro, Ca.

I got out of active duty for a few years and signed up as a 31M multi-channels communications operator (relays).

Here's my small discontinued collection of all the units I served in, in chronological order (mssing three patches). I think when I retire next year I will complete this neglegted collection (note busted up frame/glass).

-Ray-
          Attached Files
          Last edited by -Ray-; 06-22-2012, 05:09 AM.

Comment

FANTASTIC patches, as always, Dave. Thanks for sharing with us.

Comment

The 40th Infantry Division's aviation assets had some interesting insignia, too.

The first is Div Arty Air Section; this insignia is found on signs in photos pubbed in A History of 40th Division Army Aviation in Korean War 1952-1954 (Ketchum).

The next is 40th Div Air Section; the hangul translates into English (not very well, but hey) "The First Class".
              Attached Files

Comment

The last aviation patch is way cool. On 1 Aug 53 the 40th Division Aviation Co was activated at Kumhwa, making it the FIRST aviation company in the history of the US Army. Up to that time, all the aviation units assigned to divisions were air sections.

Here is one of their patches; note how it incorporates the "Ball of Fire" insigne. It too is depicted in photos in the book mentioned earlier and in an article published in The Trading Post Jan-Mar 1997.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by tredhed2; 07-06-2012, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tredhed2 View Post
                  The last aviation patch is way cool.
                  All of your patches are ''way cool!'' Thanks for posting updates.

Comment

Great stuff Dave, maybe a little off topic but when and did the 40th ever have an OD bordered division patch??

Comment

To answer your question, during WW 2. And, FWIT - there is one way to tell whether a patch is pre or WW 2 - the size of the "donut" around the center of the sun. The donut disappeared during WW 2. I know your lives would be incomplete w/o that info.
                      Attached Files

Comment

mmmm donuts. thanks for the information

Comment

Thought I would update this. Most of you are familiar with the "Ball of Fire" patches. They came about when the new CO, MG Joespeh P. Cleland unilaterally decided to change the SSI into the BoF patches we all know and cherish. The one piece patch and tab on the right is probably Korean made.They were not supposed to have been worn outside of Korea.....but not everyone got the memo. Enjoy.
                          Attached Files

Comment

This combo is the right sleeve of a uniform jacket, w/a 7th ID SSI and KOREA tab on the other sleeve. The BoF tab seems to read "Ballof Fire " (two words instead of three) but I like it anyway.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Awesome additons!!

Thanks for posting.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X