Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost Korean War 8th U.S. Cav Battalion

See: http://www.navytimes.com/news/2010/0...ea_mia_071710/

Thanks for the link. This isn't mentioned much even in the Korean War books I've read.

Comment

This is a sad chapter in the history of the KW. Also isnt there something about this regiment not being able to deploy in the US because they lost their colors?I hope you don't mind but I felt maybe this would go well with your thread
      Private Robert L Fox was a Light Weapons Infantryman in the 1st Cav. Div. 8th Infantry Regt. He was captured at Unsan on Nov. 2 1950 and died in captivity. I'm still trying to figure out which camp but its slow going. Thank you for the link Mike
      Attached Files

Comment

1Perazi: Excellent post; thank you. This is all about examining the reality of the event. Hundreds of soldiers lost their lives during and after the combat. We need to remember and relate the lives of those who participated. Thanks for posting!
        Mike

Comment

Your welcome Best mike

Comment

"Also isn't there something about this regiment not being able to deploy in the US because they lost their colors?"

Urban myth. There are no such rules or regulations or customs in the US Army saying that. Look at the stationing of elements of other US Army units involved in defeats or disasters- the 7th Cavalry for example or the 31st Infantry.

Comment

Ah ok thanks for that. I didnt know Best Mike

Comment

Hello,

Nice collection of medals to a true Hero!

George.

Comment

Originally posted by A. Bogan View Post
                  "Also isn't there something about this regiment not being able to deploy in the US because they lost their colors?"

Urban myth. There are no such rules or regulations or customs in the US Army saying that. Look at the stationing of elements of other US Army units involved in defeats or disasters- the 7th Cavalry for example or the 31st Infantry.
                  Agree that this is urban myth. When I was stationed with the 1st Cav Div in Korea in the early 1960s, I often heard that the division had lost its colors in the Korean War and therefore could not return to the USA, so I began researching this further and could not find any historical evidence to support either the loss of the division's colors (or those of its subordinate regiments) or a US Army policy, formal or informal, denying a unit stationed overseas return to the US. In fact, the 1st Cav Division returned to Ft Benning, Georgia, in 1964 prior to its conversion to an airmobile division and deployment to Vietnam, where it performed very well.

Comment

Loss of colors ??? (regimental & battalion flags)

Originally posted by Homer Hodge View Post
                    ...this is urban myth. When I was stationed with the 1st Cav Div
                    in Korea in the early 1960s, I often heard that the division had
                    lost its colors in the Korean War and therefore could not return
                    to the USA, so I began researching this further and could not find
                    any historical evidence to support either the loss of the division's
                    colors (or those of its subordinate regiments) or a US Army policy,
                    formal or informal, denying a unit stationed overseas return to the
                    US. In fact, the 1st Cav Division returned to Ft Benning, Georgia, in
                    1964 prior to its conversion to an airmobile division and deployment
                    to Vietnam, where it performed very well.
                    Hello HH:
                    From the 1980's I recall seeing a PBS multi-night series
                    on the Korean War showing veteran soldier interviews
                    from both sides? At the end was also shown several
                    captured US unit flags on display in the North Korean
                    War Museum - like the 31st US Infantry example now
                    on display in China. I would like to find out more about
                    those captured US unit flags, such as just what units
                    they were from?
                    Likely, the 555th FAB, 8th Cav, etc.
                    OFW
                    (below) "Loss of Colors" (from CMH online):
                    "...Official Army records contain no mention of any unit of
                    the United States Army having lost its colors to the enemy
                    during World War II, the Korean War, or the war in Vietnam.
                    There is also no record of any unit having its colors taken
                    away as a punishment for any action at any time in the history
                    of the United States Army. There have been several rumors
                    concerning various units losing their colors. These are
                    generally false. Some of these include: a. The 1st Cavalry
                    Division in Korea. The incident that apparently gave rise to
                    this false rumor appears to be the Unsan Engagement which took
                    place on 1 and 2 November 1950 at Unsan, Korea. In that battle,
                    the 8th Cavalry, a component of the 1st Cavalry Division, was
                    pushed back from positions in and around the town of Unsan by
                    vastly superior Chinese forces. The regiment was severely battered,
                    suffering heavy casualties and losing a considerable amount of
                    equipment. This was one of the first major Chinese operations in
                    the Korean War and, like the Changjin (Chosin) Reservoir Battle of
                    this same period, it took the United Nations Command by surprise.
                    Considering the circumstances, the 8th Cavalry fought very well,
                    and it has never been criticized for its conduct in this operation.
                    b. The question of the loss of colors by the 7th Cavalry at Little
                    Big Horn has also generated considerable debate. Although this office
                    has no conclusive evidence one way or the other, it has been suggested
                    that Custer's personal flag along with several troop guidons were taken,
                    but that the regimental flag was not captured. A regimental flag
                    subsequently turned up at the Custer Battlefield National Monument in
                    Crow Agency, Montana, but it has never been verified that this was the
                    flag at Little Big Horn. There is also a rumor that the 7th Cavalry
                    lost its colors in Korea. This can be tracked back to the 7th's
                    association with the 1st Cavalry Division and the incident detailed
                    in para 5a (above)." Originally prepared by DAMH-HSO [later DAMH-FPO]
                    12 October 1989, [web] page created 24 October 2001
                    Footnote to above...
                    With the PQMD made 31st flag on display in the China Museum,
                    the above really needs to be updated and include articles from
                    the American Heritage... and ...The Military Advisor... magazines
                    which address both the WW2 and Custer unit flag loses.
                    OFW
                    Last edited by oldflagswanted; 08-19-2012, 06:58 AM.
                    sigpic
                    .......^^^ .................... some of my collection ...................... ^^^...

Comment

Doesn't the Chinese museum also have the 555th FAB flag, or guidon?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Page View Post
                        Doesn't the Chinese museum also have the 555th FAB flag, or guidon?
                        I don't know, but my father-in-law was in the 555th when they were overrun at Bloody Gulch. He won't talk about it, but I know he got his hands badly burned while firing his 105 during that action, and barely missed capture.

Mike

Comment

I forgot to mention that the 31st Infantry flag was accidentally lost on the east side of the Chosin (Changjin) reservoir when certain non-essential items were being disposed of by 3/31.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X