Town / Map Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Town / Map Help

Anyone here have a wartime map of South Korea? I'm looking for a coastal city, two words (can only read 3 of the 6 letters of the first word),

SA _ _ _ A - Myon

I cannot find it on any of my maps. Goodle, which usually works for such things, is of no help. (I'm guessing the spelling/name of the city has changed in the past 60 years.) Anyone have an idea, please let me know.

Thanks!

Most names have changed since the war, either to go with the new translations of the name. A good many coastal villages/towns have been swallowed by larger cities expanding. Busan, old Pusan is such an area.

Do you have a time frame or action that your town was involved in? I do research and satellite imagery of NKPA underground military site and get free time to look around and would be glad to look south. I just need a little more information, if a psecific unit was involved, date time frame, actions, anything you have can help.

Jim

Comment

Jim,

I guess "Myon" is a term for a group of small towns or villages, not a specific city?

There is a Samcha-do in the Pansong Archipelago in North Korea, but I doubt US ships were operating that far north.

There is a Samch ยท ŏk on the southeast coast of Korea, could that have been referred to as "Samcha - Myon?"

Anyway, the USS Pickaway was there in early June 1953. (Interent sites regarding the Pickaway only mention operations in Korea and don't give any specific port call for June 1953.)

Comment

let me look around, I have some sources for naval operations. And I'll look south when I get down time. I'm thinking it will be south of Wonsan by the dates. I'll keep you posted as to what i find.

LOL, I knew the USS PIckaway from the early 1960's. I don't know if you checked here but there is an old thread at www.koreanwar.org http://www.koreanwar.org/html/units/...s_pickaway.htm It's a god source for looking for old budddies and information.

Jim
        Last edited by AMAC50; 04-09-2012, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X