Snapshots From Korea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snapshots From Korea

I thought I would post these here in the Korean War forum-- they may be of interest to others. These are some snapshots taken by a Marine reserve officer called to active duty for about 18 months during the war.

These first snapshots are interesting because they depict the old war memorial tower at Chinhae constructed by the Japanese in the 1920s. It was torn down sometime after the Korean War and the new one was built c.1965.
    Attached Files

Chinhae

Photo of Chinhae city & harbor, August 1951. (Technically today Jinhae-gu.) The other photo is obviously more recent...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by historyguy; 02-06-2012, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Korean Life

Not all of his photos were of a martial theme. He took a number of photos of Korean locals. The top one is captioned "typical A frame load of rice straw." They look a little heavy!

The bottom photo is one of the few without captions; I included it because I like the hat and coats they are wearing!
      Attached Files

Comment

This is the Korea my wife grew up in. One little detail I notice are the 'Hobok' (squash or pumpkin) vines all over the wall those boys toting straw are next to. Lots of country people still do that. Every summer my deck railing also has those vines all over it,too.

Comment

Great photos, Andy !
          Thanks a lot for posting them!

Comment

Thanks for posting the photos, Andy!

Korea is such a beautiful country! I had the great pleasure to stay tehre several times for several weeks. The history of the Korean War is also extremely interesting.

Dietrich
            B&D PUBLISHING
            Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

Before And After

I like the camo shelter half in the first photo. Not so crazy about the snow!
              Attached Files

Comment

First photo shows officers, I assume from 1st MT Battalion. I can't tell what they are wearing, almost look like field jacket liners.

Second photo is the rear echelon of 1st MT Battalion preparing for an inspection.
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the comments, guys! I appreciate it.

There are a few other pics from Korea in this thread: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=570431

That's about all I have; the other photos are from the veteran's R&R in Japan. Nothing else really of interest from Korea.

This last photo is labeled, "Schoolboy drill & parade @ Masan." Must have been a big school!
                  Attached Files

Comment

great photos............korean war items have been under valued and ignored far too long...........thanks for posting.......dave

Comment

Winter In Korea

Well, since it's finally winter here in Minnesota (and because this just arrived yesterday), I thought I would post this.

From Sachon-ni (I believe the Rear Echelon, 1 MT Bn), December 1951.

I'm not familiar with this coat style, but it looks like the coat that the liners shown in post #8 above belong to.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X