Guns coming back?.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guns coming back?.....

Has anybody heard or seen this: http://www.guns.com/us-to-import-830...rom-korea.html

Mark
    MACVSOG Historian

Originally posted by Granate View Post
    Has anybody heard or seen this: http://www.guns.com/us-to-import-830...rom-korea.html

Mark
    MACVSOG Historian
    The transfer of these M1 rifles was approved once in 2009 and then retracted by Hillary Cinton DOS. It's on for now with the 86,000 M1 rifles but could be retracted again.
    There are also over 800,000 M1 carbines that are still barred from importation becasue the have removable magazines NOT for the reason stated in the attached story. BTW: Someone ought to clue the DOS in that the high capacity ban expired years ago.
    The Dept of State claims they could "fall into the wrong hands" and I agree an M1 carbine is just about ideal for sticking up a convience store.
    Jim

Comment

Actually this was just in the local Korean news papers and also on ROK Drop. Both rifles and carbines are suppossed to be now appproved for export and import to the USA.

Jim

Comment

Question:

Why is everyone (Gov't anyways) so uptight about importing German machine pistols and machine guns? It's not like every immoral dealer (gun and drug) is going to get these...especially when there's AKs,Uzis, etc. abundant at whatever low price they get them for. Especially for guns with weird calibers, too. (Maybe the gov't doesn't want to drive our collector's items prices down? ). Plus who knows...someone could waltz into the CMP with a clear background to get an M1 for someone with a questionable one.

Or am I just naive?

Blue Skies of Thunderbolts,
        Lev

Comment

I spoke with a BATFE contact of mine a few days ago: the story is true; the M1 rifles are (as of now) approved by DOS to come in; the DOS approval of the carbines remains revoked.

It seems that there was legislation in the works in both the House and Senate (with Democrat and Republican sponsors) that would have eliminated the need for DOS approval for the import of C&R former US military small arms. Thus, my take is that rather than risk being 100% eliminated from having any say-so in the process, DOS backed down and "threw us a bone" on letting the M1 rifles in (but is standing its ground in still refusing to approve the carbines). I have no information on what may or may not happen to the proposed legislation, in light of DOS's reversal of its position on the rifles.

It will be interesting to see how the collector/shooter market reacts to 87,000 M1 rifles. I'm sure the importer will do everything possible to keep prices high, but the bottom line is that purchasers have the advantage of knowing the amount of supply available and the market will price them accordingly.

Bottom line: I am super happy to see the guns come into the U.S., where collectors/shooters will appreciate and care for them for years to come.

Comment

good information to know...thanks for the thread and heads up.
            Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did. Quote - Sophie Scholl - White Rose resistance group

Comment

M-1's

How will we be able to know when and where we will be able to buy one of these M-1s? Is there a website we can watch?

Comment

I think the importer is (will be) Century Arms, so you might want to go check out its website.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X