Chinese Helmet and Ammo Pouch in Korean War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chinese Helmet and Ammo Pouch in Korean War

I am not new to this forum. However, I am very new to this topic. I have always been interested in earlier Chinese militaria, especially those used during WWII and Korean War. However, as a Chinese living in Hong Kong, I always find it difficult to locate such items in China and Asia as a whole. One reason for that, I believe, is due to the fact that a lot of Chinese veterans "treasure" their uniforms, which they feel proud of, by wearing them after the war in their daily life. As a result, many militaria have been destroyed. I have recently been lucky to locate 2 Chinese Korean War Items: a Japanese helmet used by Chinese communist troops and an ammo pouch used by such troops during the war. Thanks Stewart Military Antiques. Enclosed are photos of the items. I will explain the characteristics of such items later if anyone is interested. In any event, I strongly believe that these 2 items were captured by US veterans as war booty during Korean War. That may be the reason why they had been in the US.

Nice items! There is also a M35 that has the PLA insignia stenciled on it.

For WWII items, they are out there but you would need to search for them. Most have been hidden away and forgotten due to the communist win. I wish I can go to China.. it would be nice to search for the stuff. There is not a lot for sale, I think because a lot of Chinese collectors do not want to sell their items... or maybe I never asked

Comment

Hc8mm, thanks for your reply. You may be one of the few who are interested. I think the following photo is interesting. It depicts how Chinese troops were equipped during Korean War and/or the Civil War between Nationalists and Communists. Of interest are of course 1) the use Japanese helmets with nets, 2) the use of the ammo pouch I just posted, and 3) the use of M1 Carbine. What a mixture of equipment from different countries.

Comment

PLA helmets

http://translate.google.com/translat...0a.htm&act=url

Comment

Thanks Bolo. I read that website before. Interesting that it gets updated and becomes more and more informative!

Comment

Sorry, the photo I posted above did not work. Here it is:-

Comment

Very interesting Chinese helmet made from Japanese helmet. It gives a lots of memory especially Hong Kong was once ruled by Japanese in WW2 and now back to China.

Comment

I love your helmet!!!

Japanese helmets made it all over - I have a Japanese helmet that was modified a bit by the VC and captured and brought back from Vietnam by a member of the 101st.

Comment

Indeed that helmet is great piece!

Comment

Thanks for all the kind comments. I did not realize that this thread would have attracted some viewers and comments because I thought that this topic (i.e. Korean War) was not too hot and did not get updates frequently.
                    Anyway, does anyone have comments in regard to the posted ammo pouch? It looks very similar to Japanese WWII example. I think the period photo that I posted depicts Chinese soldiers wearing, in fact, Japanese WWII ammo pouches, not the one shown in this thread. Does the pouch shown here look like Imperial German (pre WWI) ones?

Comment

Originally posted by david_iu View Post
                      Thanks for all the kind comments. I did not realize that this thread would have attracted some viewers and comments because I thought that this topic (i.e. Korean War) was not too hot and did not get updates frequently.
                      Anyway, does anyone have comments in regard to the posted ammo pouch? It looks very similar to Japanese WWII example. I think the period photo that I posted depicts Chinese soldiers wearing, in fact, Japanese WWII ammo pouches, not the one shown in this thread. Does the pouch shown here look like Imperial German (pre WWI) ones?
                      Items here don't get a lot of comments as there just are not a lot of bringback KW items out there. I had a flag, still have a couple of 91/30's and a TT-33, but would love to get another flag, bugle, helmets and hats, Tok, 91/30 sniper, etc. They are so few and far between that as for me, I just don't need the aggravation of trying to collect something that is so uncommon...
                      (sorry, don't know anything about the ammo pouch)

Comment

The Japanese forces left behind large amounts of equipment when they left Korea at the end of WW II. As a result, Japanese helmets and other equipment were used by both North Korean (DPRK) forces and Chinese forces. However, I think it is very unlikely that the Japanese helmet that you posted, David, was used in the Korean War. The reason is that it clearly displays the emblem of the Chinese Peoples Liberation Army on the front. This was not done in Korea. The fiction was maintained that all of the Chinese soldiers fighting for North Korea were volunteers. Officially, the Chinese government was not involved in the war. That is why China was not attacked by allied forces during the war. It was a mutually-agreed upon fiction.

So it would have been quite unusual, if not almost impossible, to find a helmet used by a Chinese soldier in Korea bearing PLA markings.

Comment

Bill, thanks for your comments. I almost forgot that volunteer point. You have made a point. I agree with you that this helmet might not be one being used particularly IN Korean war. In fact, it is difficult to tell whether a helmet was used in a particular war without provenance from e.g. veterans. However, I am quite certain that this helmet was used during the very early days of communist China due to the application of this style of national insignia. By the way, this national insignia was officially called "the 1950 style". Obviously, it was used since 1950. It was used until 1955 with the introduction of "the 1955 style" obviously in 1955. Thereafter, there have been introduction and usage of different national insignia until today. Therefore, I can be certain that this helmet was used say between 1950 and 1955, which was the taking place of the Korean War. So, be specific, I should state this helmet as "one being used by the Chinese troops DURING the Korean War PERIOD".

Comment

Oh, absolutely, David, it is a GREAT PLA helmet from the early days ! No question about it. And it is quite cool, in my opinion.

Comment

Bill, thanks for your comments. What do you think about the ammo pouch that I posted?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X