Captured M44 Carbine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Captured M44 Carbine

I bought this just because it was a WW2 Soviet M-44. One day when I was cleaning it, I noticed some things scratched into the metal. One the rear brass band of the upper handguard is some writing which appears to be a Chinese or Korean name. I can't really make it out. On the buttplate is "CAPT - C. V. BEIMFOHR - KMAG". A quick search taught me that KMAG is the Korean Military Advisory Group, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_...Advisory_Group

The sling wasn't on there when I bought it, but I think it looks proper.

I believe this is the man whose name is scratched into the buttplate, he's buried in the Santa Fe National Cemetery:
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by MattS View Post
      I believe this is the man whose name is scratched into the buttplate, he's buried in the Santa Fe National Cemetery:
      Wow! I never had any luck researching him. I bought that rifle around 1995, so his family must have sold it off. Looks like he served a very long and full military career.

Comment

I got lucky on this one as Beimfohr isn't a very common last name!

Comment

Now that's just awesome. I love it when the people behind these things get found. Yeah, it looks like Colonel Beimfohr did have quite a military career.

Comment

Nice find, and great history with it.

Comment

wow amazing find,

Comment

Fantastic find .

To the forgotten war .

owen

Comment

Nifty piece of hardware. What does the piece do in front of the rear sight? Is that brass?

And the thing on front - is that a sword, or a German Zweihänder? Wow. I've never seen a bayonet so long that retracted to BEHIND the rear sight Looks like when extended, it might be across enemy lines! Talk about 'Reach out and touch someone'

Seems like campaigns in WWII, Korea, and SE Asia would get you more than O-6, except maybe for his age - 50 y/o in '63?

Comment

Originally posted by buccaneere View Post
                    Nifty piece of hardware. What does the piece do in front of the rear sight? Is that brass?

And the thing on front - is that a sword, or a German Zweihänder? Wow. I've never seen a bayonet so long that retracted to BEHIND the rear sight Looks like when extended, it might be across enemy lines! Talk about 'Reach out and touch someone'

Seems like campaigns in WWII, Korea, and SE Asia would get you more than O-6, except maybe for his age - 50 y/o in '63?
                    The brass is just a reinforcement to keep the wood hand guard from splitting.

Comment

This is just cool!

Comment

That gun is awesome, made even more so by your research paydirt!
                        Fantastic!!

Comment

Korean war bring backs are rare, this is a very nice war trophy

and the veteran is buried near your area in Santa Fe, NM

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X