CollectorToCollector

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Private Reynolds: Silver Star Korea 1966.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Private Reynolds: Silver Star Korea 1966.

Hello all,

whilst doing some research on some of my Vietnam era groupings, i came across this citiation from November 1966 which details combat between NK and US troops which resulted in the award of the Silver Star to Mr.Reynolds, sadly at the cost of his own life....

It does make you wonder how many more instances were recorded, yet are unknown to the public at large whose minds were naturally focused on another Asian conflict.

As i am not at all versed in the period after hostilities had 'ended' in Korea, this was something of an eye opener. Start on section III on page 2 and read down for details of the action.
    Attached Files

I'm certain that there have been other such incidents.

Technically, the war in Korea has never ended. In 1953 there was a cease-fire agreed to, but there has never been a peace treaty.

Comment

Tours in Korea were considered combat tours up until some time in the 80s if memory serves me right.
      pseudo-expert

Comment

In the late 60s, CIB's were awarded to certain personnel along the DMZ, but the criterion was much more restrictive than for awards in Vietnam.

Informative article about those days:

www.koreanwar.org/html/dmz_war.html

Comment

Very interesting reading; I had heard of the Pueblo and the horrible axe murder incident in 1976, but I did not know about all this fighting.
          The attack of the presidential palace in Seoul on 31 Jan 1968 shows a deep coordination between North Korea and North Vietnam. It is surprising it is never mentionned in history books.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Doering View Post
            Tours in Korea were considered combat tours up until some time in the 80s if memory serves me right.
            Same as in Berlin up to 1990.
            90 Day's in Town qualified for the Army of Occupation Medal and VFW.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Doering View Post
              Hi,

I believe combat patches ceased to be awarded after the early 70s in the ROK. I was stationed in ROK from 87-89 and had a few NCOs who wore the 2ID patch from their earlier tours of the DMZ in the early 70s.

When my Battalion was statioined on the DMZ, we were informed that the unofficial policy was that a confirmed kill of an NK soldier would result in an impact MSM and a ticket out of country within 48 hours.

Gary B
              ANA LM #1201868, OMSA LM #60, OVMS LM #8348

Comment

As mentioned here (http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ghlight=Pueblo), I was over there in '67 - '68 when the USS Pueblo was taken. However, that was not the only instance that happened during my tour - just the only one that made the news. Several times we had small groups of North Korean soldier/spies come across the border dressed as ROK troops. I also remember a 3/4 ton truck being hauled to our compound that was attacked on our side of the border. (I was in the 4/7th Cav.) Of the 3 soldiers who were in the cab, two were killed. The one in the middle was wounded but survive, protected by the bodies of his comrades. There was almost nowhere on the outside of the truck that you could put your hand without touching a bullet hole.

I went up to the DMZ enough times to earn the Imjin Scount Award in April '68. We had clear orders to shoot to kill any suspected infiltrators.

And, as Don mentioned, when I came back I got to wear my 2nd ID patch on the right shoulder with 2 combat hashmarks below on the sleeve.

Comment

The DMZ has always been hot and all kinds of crap goes down that is not reported.

http://www.koreanwar-educator.org/to...my_1966_69.htm

And-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_Demilitarized_Zone

Skirmishes and sniping incidents happened in Germany as well with RAF into the late 80s and it was never widely reported.

Comment

[QUOTE=
                    [url]http://www.koreanwar-educator.org/topics/dmz/p_dmz_deaths_army_1966_69.htm[/url]

That list has at least one mistake on it. It lists Michael Vogel as being from Washington, he was from Altamont Illinois, I knew his family and just recently attended his baby brother's funeral. Denny

Comment

My father served a tour in Korea in the mid-80s. We stayed behind in the US because it was a war zone technicially. My father had stated that gunfires along the DMZ where almost nightly and the NK infiltrators probed the lines alot.

Comment

As an aside, we have a display for the Pueblo at our museum, here's the link to the old thread: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ghlight=Pueblo

Comment

Originally posted by vacollector View Post
                          My father served a tour in Korea in the mid-80s. We stayed behind in the US because it was a war zone technicially. My father had stated that gunfires along the DMZ where almost nightly and the NK infiltrators probed the lines alot.
                          Regarding the unaccompanied tour. When I was a young AF LT at Camp Long (Wonju) working with First Rok Army (FROKA) in the early 1970's it was an unaccompanied location. Then a couple of the Lt Col's who had private hooches started bringing their wives, then the ground FAC I shared a bath with in our hooch brought his wife, then because of the wives we had to ban the local gals from the club, and so on...but we were always on alert and were armed with CAR-15's and .38's whenever we did our practice CAS missions up north because of the incursions on the Z.

The funny one was on July 4 then they called a practice alert and because of a squadron party our location didn't have enough sober FACs to respond. The only sober FACs were the Mormon ones...

Comment

Pvt Reynolds - Silver Star Korea 1966

One of my neighbors was wounded in Korea ca. 1968 and received a PH. His last name is Adkinson, just can't recall his first. He plinked me w/ a BB gun ca. 1961!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X