Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ranger scrolls

Hello all,

these ranger scrolls came in a Vietnam era lot, and have been identified on USMF as those worn in Korea. The top one seems to be Vietnamese made, for wear as a combat patch by Korea vets.
    Does the 2nd one appear to be KW era? What would be its value?
    Thanks!

Personally, I've never seen those types of scrolls being worn during the Korean War. I've always associated them with Vietnam era.

Comment

(A):
      The second one is an unauthorized version from the Viet Nam War. It's more alluded to post war since many of them worn during the conflict had the company designated on them or LRPS like the first version. They were worn by Ranger company members assigned to the different divisons. They were basically the division(s) assigned but made up long range recon company(s). This was the same for Korea. Theoretically; both these patches are inherant to Korea or Viet Nam and locally manufactured with variations.

I have served with veterans that still wore the second version as combat patches on thier right shoulder throughtout the 1980's even though they were not authorized. These are also symbolic to Korean war veterans reunions.

FYI: These patches morphed into the following authorized example in full color as pictured before the end in Viet Nam (era 1974-early 80's)

I still wear this example on my right shoulder to date. This was the last version with this simularization along with the 2nd Ranger BN. that were officially authorized for wear. They were phased out after 1983 and replaced with the traditional WW II version.

This other desert example was a locally manufactured un-authorized version I had produced for me in Wurzburg (notice the German "1")when we had started to wear the desert camo uniforms again in 2003. All patches at that time were subdued for the desert.

(A):
      I can't put a quote on the value?
      Attached Files
      Last edited by CIB; 09-16-2010, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Ranger scrolls

Am returning to this forum after some time.

Your 4th RICA scroll (top) appears to have been made in VN ca 1966-72, for right shoulder wear by a KW veteran still on active duty.

Your US made scroll (bottom) is known as a generic RICA insigne, and was first avail ca. 1951 when the RICAs were activated. It was UA.

Some of the Rangers picked out the INF lettering on these scrolls and had their company numbers added; this was also done to WW 2 era Ranger Bn scrolls.

I have pix, but cannot post them yet.

Comment

The 4th Company, Airborne Ranger was worn by a "white Ranger" company in Korea 1950-1951 and assigned to one of the Infantry Divisions, can't remember which. But the 2D Airborne Ranger Company was assigned to the 7th Infantry Division 1950-1951, they wore the same patch you have but with "2D", it was worn above a 7ID Patch. The patches were made outside Fort Benning before the 2D and 4th deployed to Korea, replacing the small Ranger tab issued (like the current small Ranger school tab). While I was assigned to the 1/17th, 7ID I saw a couple of these scrolls worn on the right sleeve by vets. The scroll was square ended like your "Inf Co scroll at the bottom.

The 1st, 2D, 3rd, and 4th were activated in Nov. 1950 and departed for Korea in Dec 1950.

The 2D Airborne Ranger Co was an all black unit and was involved in the airborne assault on Musan-ni with the 187 RCT as was the 4th Airborne Ranger Co. The 2D was deactivated in August 1951 and the Rangers assigned to the `187 RCT (Airborne).

A good book has been released about the 2D, called "The First, Last, and only All-Black Rangers" by Edward L. Posey who was inducted into the Ranger Hall of Fame in 2002. there are a few illustrations showing these scrolls in use.

Jim
          Last edited by AMAC50; 02-23-2012, 03:15 AM.

Comment

Actually there were 15 Ranger Infantry Companies (Abn) activated during the KW.

Their divisional assignments:

1st Ranger Infantry Company (Abn) (2nd IN Div), 1950-1951

2nd Ranger Infantry Company (Abn) (7th IN Div), 1950-1951

3rd Ranger Infantry Company (Abn) (3rd IN Div), 1950-1951

4th Ranger Infantry Company (Abn) (1st CAV Div), 1950-1951

5th Ranger Infantry Company (Abn) (25th IN Div), 1950-1951

6th Ranger Infantry Company (Abn) (1st IN Div), 1950-1951

7th Ranger Infantry Company (Abn) (Rgr Tng Cmd), 1950-1951

8th Ranger Infantry Company (Abn) (24th IN Div), 1950-1951

9th Ranger Infantry Company (Abn) (31st IN Div), 1951

10th Ranger Infantry Company (Abn) (45th IN Div), 1951

11th Ranger Infantry Company (Abn) (40th IN Div), 1951

12th Ranger Infantry Company (Abn) (28th IN Div), 1951

13th Ranger Infantry Company (Abn) (43rd IN Div), 1951

14th Ranger Infantry Company (Abn) (4th IN Div), 1951

15th Ranger Infantry Company (Abn) (47th IN Div), 1951

Period scrolls w/ company number exist for 1-5, 8-11.

The 6th RICA had a Gemran made scroll similar to the US-made version; the 14th-15th wore the double tabbed black and gold Airborne Ranger tab; the 13th wore separate German amde Airbrone and Ranger tabs.

To further muddy the waters, the 1st ID and 2nd AD had Ranger companies which also had scrolls. The 18th Infantry Ranger Co had a scroll for wear w/ the BRO, and the 2nd AD had a provisional company which was inactivated upon arrival in Germany in July 1951.

The one thing that is certain is that the WW II 2nd Ranger Bn blue and gold lozenges (either US or Asian-made) , which appear quite often with numbers 1-15 embroidered in the base, where never worn, nor were they even in the hands of Rangers.
            Last edited by tredhed2; 02-29-2012, 02:49 PM. Reason: add more info

Comment

Here a couple of 4th Ranger Inf Co (Abn) GIs wearing the generic, US made scroll. The EM is Sgt Bob Shusteff and the officer is Lt. Mike Healy (MG, USA, ret'd).
              Attached Files

Comment

and here is a nice, Japanese-made ca. 1951 4th Ranger Inf Co (Abn) scroll
                Attached Files

Comment

Great pics and 4th Airborne Ranger Company Scroll Dave!

Here's some from the 2nd Airborne Ranger Company

Close up of one of the Japanese made Scrolls

Comment

What about the 2nd and 4th Ranger Infantry Companies (Airborne) (3 March 1951 – 4 April 1951) that were atattched to the 187th for the combat drop in Korea?...did they wear scrolls in combat or just after on their uniforms?.......mike

Comment

I researched and wrote an article on the KW Ranger companies which was pubbed back in 1995. I made it a point to i/v vets for the article, with an eye towards the insignia, specifically the scrolls.

I have this one of the 2nd, (I don't know the date when this photo was taken, but it is an example of the 2nd RICA in the field - Korea, not Benning). I cropped it to show Pfc James E. Carrel, and deleted Sgt Jones. It may be a little tough to see, but Pfc. Carrel has a blue and white AIRBORNE tab worn over a WW 2 type 2nd RANGER Infanty Bn scroll, but he picked out the Bn and had "Co" added. No, I don't have a clue about the helmet marking.

Have only seen photos of the generic scroll as depicted in the earlier post for the 4th, but am always looking for others.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by tredhed2 View Post
                        Here a couple of 4th Ranger Inf Co (Abn) GIs wearing the generic, US made scroll. The EM is Sgt Bob Shusteff and the officer is Lt. Mike Healy (MG, USA, ret'd).
                        Excellent era pictures I can't really recall photos of these scrolls worn, very nice in fact!

As earlier mentioned; these exact type's with the INF- CO.were also worn in the 70's and well in to the 80's by members of the 75th INF Viet Nam veterans (unauthorized), some of whom I served with.

I'm certain some Army members can recall seeing these hodge-podge during that time.

-Ray-
                        Last edited by -Ray-; 04-19-2012, 02:12 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X