Helmets of the North Korean and Chinese forces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Helmets of the North Korean and Chinese forces

The post above displays a Chines poster from July of 1951 that I have in my collection. It announces that, the Chinese and North Koreans will defeat the American forces. The poster's "evidence" for this is set forth in the numbers: The numbers of German and Italian fascists defeated by the communist Soviet forces in WW II, and the numbers of Japanese and Nationalist Chinese forces defeated by communist Chinese and North Koreans in WW II.

But one of the interesting things to me about this poster is the illustration of the soldiers as wearing combat helmets. I can't remember ever seeing a photo of North Korean or Chinese troops in the Korean war wearing helmets. Every photo that I see shows them wearing the squat fur caps or cloth caps.

However, yesterday I visited with a Korean War veteran who I have known for more than 40 years. He was a collector of military items long before he served in the war, and he himself had sent home two enemy helmets from Korea, both of which he still has. One of these was, as you might expect, a Soviet Russian helmet of the 1940 model. The other helmet was a WW II Japanese helmet that had been repainted to a color close to that of the Russian helmet. The front star of the Imperial Japanese Army had, of course, been removed.

My friend told me that it was not uncommon to see both Chinese and North Koreans using captured stocks of WW II Japanese helmets in combat. No doubt the Japanese forces left quite a few behind when they evacuated Korea at the war's end.
    Last edited by Bill D.; 04-14-2010, 08:18 AM.

Comment

You should take pictures of your friends bring back helmets, they sound interesting.

JL

Comment

Get pictures of this mans helmets.
        Please.

Jerry

Comment

Here is a picture of some Chinese communists in M35 helmets, unknown period:

I am thinking the above is not Nationalist is because they did not use that type of MG and usually they are wearing puttees.

Even the Nationalists were using Japanese helmets on Taiwan, as I learned recently.

Comment

Great photos, HC !

Here is one that I found of a soldier wearing a captured Soviet M-40 helmet and holding a captured Soviet gun.
            Attached Files

Comment

I would also like to see those helmets! Interesting to note that the Communist Chinese soldier on the right side of the poster is apparently armed with a M-1928 Thompson. We did leave a lot of those in China after WW2.

Comment

Originally posted by hc8mm View Post
                Here is a picture of some Chinese communists in M35 helmets, unknown period:

I am thinking the above is not Nationalist is because they did not use that type of MG and usually they are wearing puttees.

Even the Nationalists were using Japanese helmets on Taiwan, as I learned recently.

It could be possible that the Nationalist had captured that MG and if it was post war. The nationalist troops stop wearing the puttees but a few still did.

Comment

Well, even if it was post 1946, a vast amount soldiers would be wearing puttees from the pictures I have seen so far. The best (or lucky) units received US surplus gaitors. I think the Communist troops stopped wearing them after 1950 or so? Is there any evidence of Chinese communist troops wearing puttees in Korea?

Even post war, soldiers were wearing puttees, although being faded out over time. But since after 1950, the uniform was changing; from the zhong shan uniform to similar of the US army. My dad served in the Taiwan army and he wore puttees in the late 50s. Usually in parades and such, they would wear the better equipment. But, I guess for everyday use, puttees in some cases. Soldiers with the new type uniform don't wear the puttees, with boots probably supplied by the US.

Finnishlion178, by post war, do you mean after 1945, or 1949? The Russian MG would be another headache for logistics as it would be another type of ammo to use. How about the ammo can? Is it Russian? if so, there is a good chance it may be Commuist soldiers. By 1950 and after, there was probably no need for a captured Russian MG on Taiwan.

I did not notice in the poster there was an Thompson! Even if the US made ones were left behind, the Chinese forces were also equipped with locally made copies.
                  Last edited by hc8mm; 04-28-2010, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hc8mm View Post
                    Well, even if it was post 1946, a vast amount soldiers would be wearing puttees from the pictures I have seen so far. The best (or lucky) units received US surplus gaitors. I think the Communist troops stopped wearing them after 1950 or so? Is there any evidence of Chinese communist troops wearing puttees in Korea?

Even post war, soldiers were wearing puttees, although being faded out over time. But since after 1950, the uniform was changing; from the zhong shan uniform to similar of the US army. My dad served in the Taiwan army and he wore puttees in the late 50s. Usually in parades and such, they would wear the better equipment. But, I guess for everyday use, puttees in some cases. Soldiers with the new type uniform don't wear the puttees, with boots probably supplied by the US.

Finnishlion178, by post war, do you mean after 1945, or 1949? The Russian MG would be another headache for logistics as it would be another type of ammo to use. How about the ammo can? Is it Russian? if so, there is a good chance it may be Commuist soldiers. By 1950 and after, there was probably no need for a captured Russian MG on Taiwan.

I did not notice in the poster there was an Thompson! Even if the US made ones were left behind, the Chinese forces were also equipped with locally made copies.
                    I mean after 1945. The Ammo can looks to be Russian to me. However, I am sure that there were a few Captured Weapons that did make their way to Taiwan. God knows enough Japanese equipment did. lol. I was saying that not many Nationalist troops wore puttes, due to the photos that I have seem. I would think that the Nationalist would have a big U.S. and English influnce but then again. Even now, the German influnce can still be found among the Republic of China.

Comment

Yeah and by end of 1945 the Russians were secretly supplying the Chinese Communists with weapons. So far, I have seen just about all photos of the CW period with Nationalists wearing puttees, gaiters, or other wear. True by then the US would be supplying them with a lot of equipment, but thats if corrupt officers don't get to them first.

Even with captured weapons on Taiwan, they were probably placed into reserves and the US Garands and carbines came into play. Yeah you are right on the Japanese equipment as they were probably left all over the island....

Sorry for getting it off topic though... lol

Comment

Occasionally on eBay you will see a Japanese helmet with the metal IJA star painted red. I wonder if those were used by Korean or Vietnamese soldiers with the paint added.

Mike

Comment

Seeing as they were widely available, I'd be willing to bet some DPRK troops found themselves wearing WW2 Japanese helmets. I've also read that Arisaka rifles were used by both sides during the war. Arisaka bayonets with scabbards modified to hang on a US pistol belt are not uncommon too.

Comment

Originally posted by mcmike View Post
                            Occasionally on eBay you will see a Japanese helmet with the metal IJA star painted red. I wonder if those were used by Korean or Vietnamese soldiers with the paint added.

Mike
                            Here is an example of a helmet that may have seen service in a communist Asian country. I suspect they primarily wore Russian type helmets, tho'.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Genuine-Japanese...item335d0cc918

Mike

Comment

Someone recently uploaded this compilation of color KW footage on YouTube; at 00:18 to 00:47 North Korean anti-aircraft crews are shown to be wearing Russian-style helmets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8RHls8_HJ8

screen grab:

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X