Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

South and North Korean items

Hi everyone,
    I was wondering about the possibility of obtaining a North Korean uniform. Has anyone ever seen one for sale?

Also, I'm currently living in Seoul, South Korea and wanted to take advantage of finding Korean War gear if it is obtainable at swap meets. Any know? I really wanted to dig around at the 38th parallel, but I don't want to die, and also I was told that anything I find, especially war related, will be taken by the South Korean government.

Maverick...

Welcome to the Forum !

I have seen DPRK uniforms offered for sale on Ebay by sellers in China at relatively modest prices. Whether the uniforms are made in the DPRK or in China I don't know. I acquired one myself, primarily to use as a display for DPRK awards on a mannequin torso.
    I'll post some pics later.

Comment

I am not sure where you would start to look for uniforms. I recall my father telling me how they would take North Korean and Chinese uniforms from the prisoners and burn them. They did not want lice spreading. He often spoke of burning piles taller than he was.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Dienna View Post
        Maverick...

Welcome to the Forum !

I have seen DPRK uniforms offered for sale on Ebay by sellers in China at relatively modest prices. Whether the uniforms are made in the DPRK or in China I don't know. I acquired one myself, primarily to use as a display for DPRK awards on a mannequin torso.
        I'll post some pics later.
        Bill

This whole section was a great idea.

My first DPRK decoration came out of Germany, and it took a LONG time to find it was an order of the flag.

As for the items coming out of China, all that I have seen ARE from Korea.
        As for uniforms I would suspect that this is also true.

Timo

Comment

Hello Maverick,

i saw what purported to be an enlisted and an officer NK wartime vintage pair of uniforms at the 2009 SOS.

Whilst i was interested in these items, as i have never seen anything to compare them to prior to that time, and as such i had no idea of their authenticity.

I imagine they may appear this year also on a table.

Try contacting a member who is attending next month.

Comment

In all my years of collecting militaria,and going to various shows, I don't think I have seen more than two or three North Korean items,and those were propaganda posters.

anyway,here is a nice uniform pic I ran across somewhere

Comment

It is fairly hard to obtain a uniform from DPRK compares to collecting soviet militaria.There are few KPA uniforms and caps(sometimes border guards)/hats,sometimes helmet available from different sources,primarily China.They are reachable on ebay from time to time.Also if you know the dealers in China,especially in the Sino-Korea border region,you might be able to meet the chance to get a uniform which was obtained from DPRK.Where i remember back in about four or five years ago,there was a group pruchase for uniforms constructed by dealers from China and their partners in DPRK.Few sets of uniforms and hats were obtained.

As for reproductions of the KPA uniform.There are repros made in China,but they are only listed in a militaria shop from Japan,there are hats and uniforms and belts being reproed.I have never seen them anywhere else for sale.Also,south korea would have repros either for military purpose or movie props which can be seen in movies,but i have never seen these items for sale nor illustrated at anywhere.

In comparison of uniforms,medals are much more easier to fetch.

Comment

i did see a documentary on bbc news about china/north korea and people smuggling things/people in and out of NK (drugs/pets/women) - you could probably get someone to get you a uniform this way - but it would no doubt cost you quite alot of money

or you could go on holiday to NK and try and buy one(?)

Comment

The only place I have seen North Korean items for sale was from a dealer who used to set up at the Show of Shows in Louisville. He might still set up, but am not sure. The prices were high enough that I couldn't afford to buy one at the time. If memory serves me correctly, I am thinking they started at $300 or so and went up from there. Would have loved to have had some, but my wallet wasn't fat enough.

Comment

Originally posted by redline09 View Post
                    i did see a documentary on bbc news about china/north korea and people smuggling things/people in and out of NK (drugs/pets/women) - you could probably get someone to get you a uniform this way - but it would no doubt cost you quite alot of money

My wife is Korean,so we have satellite TV from Korea. The border area between NK and China is much less secure than you might imagine,and smugglers come and go (at risk to themselves). China does not want this area to become any more ethnically Korean than it already is,so they have periodic crackdowns on illegal immigrants from NK. The contrast between the prosperous,modern China on one side of the river,and the barely functioning NK on the other is shocking.
                    I've watched many South Korean TV shows depicting NK soldiers,and so I'd be wary that a genuine NK uniform is really just a TV prop (The same could be said of Japanese uniforms,too-I've seen many period dramas set in the Japanese occupation era,and their uniforms look pretty good to me,too)

Comment

Originally posted by redline09 View Post

It is impossible to buy a uniform or other militaria inside DRPK as there is a very strict control of the militaria items,and any trade of the items is prohibited.Perhaps the dealers or smugglers can do in some way,but that is not applying for a tourist/visitor.

Comment

Originally posted by NKOMO View Post
                        The only place I have seen North Korean items for sale was from a dealer who used to set up at the Show of Shows in Louisville. He might still set up, but am not sure. The prices were high enough that I couldn't afford to buy one at the time. If memory serves me correctly, I am thinking they started at $300 or so and went up from there. Would have loved to have had some, but my wallet wasn't fat enough.

How similar to Soviet uniforms are the NK ones in terms of fabric colour and type?

EDIT: From what you remember* Should have been more clear sorry
                        Last edited by angus1235; 10-20-2015, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by angus1235 View Post
                          How similar to Soviet uniforms are the NK ones in terms of fabric colour and type?

EDIT: From what you remember* Should have been more clear sorry
                          These links may be of help in regards to Korean War era NK uniforms.

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/REL/00158.010/

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/REL32900.001/

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/REL/00158.001/

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X