X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help us remember a forgotten war !

Greetings...

Some time back I was in a major bookstore chain reviewing the rather expansive section on military history. As I scanned the books I couldn't help but notice that the books, which were arranged chronologically, went from World War II to Vietnam, and on to the Gulf wars. There was not a single book on the Korean War.

There are, I think, many of us who have an interest in the conflict and who have in our collections memorabilia from that period.

This forum has been created to share our collective artifacts, sources of information, and stories and, in this way, memorialize the valiant men and women who served in that brutal period of history.

So, let's get going!

I am very happy to see this forum.
    I had 2 younger uncles serve in that conflict, my dad and my older uncles fought in WWII, and I am exteremly pleased to see a forum that gives recognition to the very hard fought Korean war that included many of the members of the UN countries that certainly have their stories to tell and artifacts to collect.

Comment

This is excellent. I find the Korean War extremely intresting. My father was in 2 nd Recon Co, 2 ID 1951-1952 and I have always been intrested in this war. Looking forward to everyones post.

Phil

Comment

Same here...my Dad was in Korea and I have always had an interest in that war. I'll definitelty be a frequent visitor here.

Best,
        Skip

Comment

Hi Bill, good luck with the new forum!

This is a subject I know next to nothing about apart from a very general history of the war. So I will enjoying reading this forum and learning more.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Good initiative, but unfortunatly I wont be able to participate much since I have never met a Korean war vet, and am far from the actual battlefields.

Comment

Bonjour,
              Really happy to discover a part of the forum dedicated to the KW. I'm really interested in the british army during the KW, the 187th RCT and the Rangers companies. Of course, the french Bn is well placed!
              Cheers
              Valery

Comment

Great thread and proposal Bill! Considering that I am looking for stories of soldiers, I had the great lucky and honour to acquire a big phot album lot with the whole story of a soldier who was in the korean war. I tried to focuse a little bit my knowledge but no trace at all of texts, specially in italian....

Unbelievable but true, the only great sources found were taken from an old weekly history magazine dating back to (if I remember well) 1968....

Yes...sometimes this seems to be a real forgotten war....thanks again, Bill, to have underlined all.

Comment

Tora....

Was the photo album for an Italian soldier in the Korean War?

That would be very unusual, since as I understand it, the only unit of the Italian military in Korea was a military hospital. That is why the Italian language United Nations medal for Korea is quite rare!

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Dienna View Post
                    Tora....

Was the photo album for an Italian soldier in the Korean War?

That would be very unusual, since as I understand it, the only unit of the Italian military in Korea was a military hospital. That is why the Italian language United Nations medal for Korea is quite rare!
                    Thanks for the question Bill but the album is from an US GI!I never noticed about the presence of an italian foces there...one reason more to focuse my knowledge into this conflict!

Thanks again!

Fab

Comment

That was the first vietnam, and the soldiers who fought there in korea were the most crapped on soldiers of all american history. (next to the soldiers on the bataan death march). No one helped them...we let the korean vets down also till just a few years back, and they never complained. They were the little brothers of the WW2 vets and the highest of integrity . We are still forgetting the lessons of korea in this new Vietnam...they have figured out how to trump up wars , as in afghanistan , and just use us as pawns , to lower the population, and to test weapons to make munitions makers rich at the cost of our lives. The domino theory was baloney. Welcome to the forum...anyway. Some WW2 vets were also korean war vets also, some even went to nam.

Comment

Here's a Dutch medalset from the Koreanwar!

Comment

That is an impressive multi-national array of medals.

Would you perhaps have further details relating to his WW2 and Korean service that you could share?

Comment

It's from a man with the Dutch and Englisch nationality who joined the Dutch army in exile. After that he stayed in the army and served in the Dutch Indies, then in Korea.

Comment

Is the medal group in a museum?

It really is an impressive array of international awards, to include the US Bronze Star and Combat Infantry badge!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X