Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pic of my Dad after the Korean War....

Hello,
    Here is a picture of my Dad almost a year after the Korean war. Can anyone tell what the ribbon citations are even tho the photo is black and white. I would really appreciate any help. Thanks
    Van

It looks like your father was an enlisted man in WW2 and then became officer in or after Korea. Medal ribbons look like a good conduct medal, American campaign medal, ETO medal with 4 campaign stars, occupation medal, national defense medal, United Nation Korea service medal, and last is Korean service medal with 3 campign stars. TPK

Comment

Top row:
      Good Conduct...WW2 Occupation Medal

2nd Row
      WW2 American Campaign Medal...WW2 European-Africa-Middle East Medal w/ 4 Battle Stars...WW2 victory Medal

3rd Row
      National Defense Service Medal...United Nations Korean Service Medal...Korean Service Medal w/ 3 Battle Stars

Right Breast
      Presidential Unit Citation w/ Oak Leaf for second award
      Korean Presidential Unit Citation

Attached Files
      RonR

Comment

Awesome, Thanks very much, I knew what the two ribbon bars on the right breast were but needed info on the rest, that is great..
        My Dad Started off flying B-25's against the Japanese in WWII. He got nicked near his left eye by anti aircraft shrapnel and was grounded for a few months for recovery. Weird thing was they shipped him to an Air base in Britain
        to recover. While he was there "most" non essential personnel were "rounded up" and trained for landings(beach landings) and he indeed landed 2nd wave on to Omaha Beach. He was supposed to be in a transportation unit
        but wound up ground pounding it all the way into Berlin. I have letters from him to his Mom before and after the landing. It was plain to read that his psyche changed from the experience. His writing went from "golly those were good
        cookies you sent" to "when you get a chance could you send me some g** damn cartons of cigarettes". He talked about sitting on a bunker overlooking Omaha after they won through looking at the carnage and was just sick. I also have arm bands and items that he picked up in Berlin 1945 just before they were ordered out so the Russians could claim Berlin....

After the war he flew B-29's in the Korean war and became the armament officer for the 30th Bomb Sqdrn. 19th bomb group, Im not sure if my post is still here after the webpage update" but it had pictures of him from then.
        He then went on to fight along side the Green Beret's in 2 tours of Vietnam and then trained new units of the Green Beret's. He retired in 1969 when they asked him to do a 3rd tour... My Dad had quite a career from 1941 to 1969.
        I sure miss him.
        Van

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X