Japanese cap and sword captured in Burma WW2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese cap and sword captured in Burma WW2

This is an Interesting little grouping of a really nice Japanese hat and sword that was captured by a group of para’s from Coventry england.

One gentleman is wearing the hat in the photo and has the sword on his lap, the info is written on the back of the photo.
    I have to stress these items havnt been seen in years and have come from a very old collection.

The hat has some very evident staining to the left side of it that’s not rust. Apart from that the hat is in incredible condition and the leather is still very soft, the hat was kept in a bag and sealed so I’m guessing that has saved it.

The sword is also a real nice one, same numbered blade and scabbard with tons of wear and evident usage in the field.
    I’m guessing the brave Japanese soldier that this was taken from had carried it into battle quite a few times.

Enjoy the pics and as always I look forward to your comments
    Attached Files

What’s cool is the way the hat sits the front brim to the right hand side sits a lot lower with the short side on the left.
    If you look in the picture the cap is sitting exactly on the paras head with the brim
    Lower and thicker on the right
    Attached Files

Comment

Really nice NCO Shin-Gunto sword and EM tropical cap with great history! Congratulations! Thanks for posting!

Comment

Thanks for sharing Leo! If you don't already know, the sword is a Type 95 NCO gunto, made by the Kobe Shoten Co (left stamp), for the Tokyo Army arsenal (center inspection stamp) oversight provided by the Kokura Arsenal (rigth stamp). The Kokura stamp puts the age on this no later than 1942'ish as they stopped administering 95 production after than. Guys (like StuW or Stegel or Shamsy) that study them could probably narrow the date down a bit more with the serial number.

You can read more about them here: http://ohmura-study.net/957.html
        and here: http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/japane...-gunto-676112/

Comment

Originally posted by Mauser HSc View Post
          Really nice NCO Shin-Gunto sword and EM tropical cap with great history! Congratulations! Thanks for posting!

Thank you very much for the kind comments, I’m really enjoying the grouping

Comment

Originally posted by BruceP View Post
            Thanks for sharing Leo! If you don't already know, the sword is a Type 95 NCO gunto, made by the Kobe Shoten Co (left stamp), for the Tokyo Army arsenal (center inspection stamp) oversight provided by the Kokura Arsenal (rigth stamp). The Kokura stamp puts the age on this no later than 1942'ish as they stopped administering 95 production after than. Guys (like StuW or Stegel or Shamsy) that study them could probably narrow the date down a bit more with the serial number.

You can read more about them here: http://ohmura-study.net/957.html
            and here: http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/japane...-gunto-676112/

Thanks for the amazing information and link to the website, I’m really learning along about these swords

Comment

You have a really amazing group of historical items there and for me, its a reality check in regards to the preference for collecting pristine and/or polished Japanese swords. Mint condition is all well and good but this is the condition most WWII swords ended up after being bought back from the Pacific war.

Enjoy what you have there and just wipe that blade with some oil now and again.

Comment

Very Nice Grouping!
                Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by BenVK View Post
                  You have a really amazing group of historical items there and for me, its a reality check in regards to the preference for collecting pristine and/or polished Japanese swords. Mint condition is all well and good but this is the condition most WWII swords ended up after being bought back from the Pacific war.

Enjoy what you have there and just wipe that blade with some oil now and again.

Thanks for the comments and I agree with everything you have said.

When I got it the first thing I did was added some tsubaki oil to preserve

Thanks again

Dean

Comment

Originally posted by STEGEL View Post
                    Very Nice Grouping!
                    Congratulations and thanks for sharing.
                    Thanks Stegel

Glad you liked it

Comment

Hi Leo

That’s a brilliant group with excellent provenance. I can appreciate why you are enjoying the items - it’s the kind of find that makes collecting so fulfilling!

All the best,
                      Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Lutfen View Post
                        Hi Leo

That’s a brilliant group with excellent provenance. I can appreciate why you are enjoying the items - it’s the kind of find that makes collecting so fulfilling!

All the best,
                        Michael

Thankyou Michael

I agree that having items tied in with a photo and a story really bring them to life.
                        I’m very fortunate

Comment

Awesome grouping with nice Providence, one any collector would prize.

Comment

Really cool indeed. Thanks for sharing

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X