Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Helmet cover

Hello everyone,

Could you give me an estimate for this helmet cover?

Thanks

Need to see exterior photo of very top of cover to see how fabric panels were sewn.

Comment

Seeing the panels with the previous stitching lines makes me fear it's a raincoat special
      Attached Files

Comment

Missed those empty stitch seams! That's a bad sign that cover may have been made up of army raincoats. They were disassembled post war & material used to make repro/fake covers

Comment

Hello, thank you for your help.
          I did not know this story with the raincoats, but it seems to me that it is not made with the same fabric.

Here are some more photos:

Comment

I don't like the top construction. That's strike two against it

Comment

The top construction does not shock me by comparing it to those of good covers.

The date inside being showa 18 or 1943, it may be possible that mine is a 1943 pattern from which the band would have been removed. Because the stitchs go all around the cover, horizontally and are parallel.
              I looked for examples of fake covers made with raincoat, the seams are generally vertical.

Comment

The stitches match well

Comment

I can't think of any scenario where/why the Japanese would remove the band on a unissued cover?? Nonetheless, you should hit the cover with a UV light and see if any threads glow. Then you can make your choice on what you want to do. Good luck

Comment

Why ? I don't know that, there can be a thousand reasons.
                    This explanation is in any case the most coherent considering the elements that I presented to you previously, You do not agree ?

Anyway, I attach the photos of the UV light test which supports my reasoning.
                    On some of photos I added a recent thread next to it for comparison.

Last edited by Remka; 12-17-2019, 02:40 PM.

Comment

A thousand reasons?!?! Umm, Ok good luck

Comment

For over 70 years?.. Yes

Thanks

Comment

Just that you know. If i want original string of the ww2 period i can have one's. So i think it is not very complicated to use old strings so on uv it give nothing.

Comment

Ok... Good for you

Comment

I believe it is a good helmet cover that, for whatever reason and who knows when it was done, the reinforcement band was removed. Regards, Ron.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X