Flea Market Type 90 helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flea Market Type 90 helmet

Found this helmet shell at the local flea market. Not real familar with these helmets but it was very cheap.

Not sure why anyone would paint a sloppy white stripe down the middle. Appears to be an un modified type 90 relic shell. Has the number "419" stamped inside the helmet. Any ideas on the number or stripe?

Chris
    Attached Files

Inside picture. Only remaining paint is around the liner suspension loops on the inside of the helmet.
    Attached Files

Comment

The "419" stamp on the interior top of helmet shell.
      Attached Files

Comment

Last picture. Any ideas on what happened to this helmet???
        Attached Files

Comment

Looks like it was sitting in the middle of the road when the line markers went through..... .

Comment

Never seen a skunk striped helmet My only guess is it was utilized for civilian defense or post war used. Not having a liner or chinstrap to add clues makes it tough to just judge the shell

Comment

Looks like a child painted the off-center stripe. It really is crooked!!

I wonder if it could have been a impromptu soap box derby helmet???

Anybody seen numbers stamped inside the shell before?

Chris

Comment

I haven't seen one

Comment

I might try to restore this shell. I don't think I would do any harm to this already stripped shell. Any recommendations or thoughts concerning the the restoration process?

Chris

Comment

First get rid of the white stripe, you can buy a nicely made repro liner and star, by the way the character stamped into the helmet in photo #2 that looks like an upside down letter Y that has been crossed like a T , is kanji for size large and the S in the diamond is KOBE STEEL where the helmet was made.

Bill

Comment

Thanks for the info Bill.

I have stripped the white stripe from the helmet. Looks okay. Now I have to find some similar colored paint, liner and star.

Chris
                      Attached Files

Comment

I have a coat of paint on the helmet now. I mixed this color up in my garage. The color is somewhat close, about as good as I am gonna get.

Now I have to get a liner and a chinstrap.

Chris
                        Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X