Japanese Blade signature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese Blade signature

Hi gentlemen, photos of this blade was sent to me by a friend. I apologize in advance if the photos are not the best quality. Is there anyway to decipher the Mei signature? When it comes to Japanese swords, I am at a complete loss, but I still like them! Thank you for the help.
    Attached Files
    sigpic

I am the worst guy to be commenting on such things, so when Guy or someone who can really read these chime it, you'll likely have to disregard what I'm going to say; BUT, this looks like it was originally mumei (unsigned) and a Bubba got ahold of it with a drimmle. The bottom character actually looks like "綱" "tsuna" but I don't recognize any of the other kanji attempts.

Someone knowledgable will help out soon! I just couldn't resist chiming in on this one.

Comment

Bubba knew kanji??
      Typical Showa period “chippy” Mei

Comment

Originally posted by nickn View Post
        Bubba knew kanji??
        Typical Showa period “chippy” Mei
        I’m not comfortable with the kanji at all; I like Bruce’s thesis that it was undertaken by Bubba who perhaps used an exemplar. I’m not even going to try to decipher it.

— Guy

Comment

I don't particularly care for the tang either.
          Bob
          www.collectortocollectormilitaria.com

sigpic

Comment

Nakago seems to have been bent for some reason.
            Apart from that, blade looks ok to me, could even be traditionally forged.

Comment

Hello guy
              So you think the Mei is a western interpretation ?
              It’s been done with a chisel in the chippy style you see on seki showato
              Please have a go at translating it
              It’s almost there with lots of added strokes
              Sword looks ok possibly gendiato

Comment

Originally posted by nickn View Post
                Hello guy
                So you think the Mei is a western interpretation ?
                It’s been done with a chisel in the chippy style you see on seki showato
                Please have a go at translating it
                It’s almost there with lots of added strokes
                Sword looks ok possibly gendiato
                I see that it is done in the "chippy" style however, I do not recognize this as a "Japanese hand." Just as if I were viewing kanji written by a non-Japanese (or Chinese). Balance and construction of strokes totally "gaijin" to me -- and I've expanded the image 300%; I'd rather not put any effort in this.

-- Guy

Okay last two kanji:
                聖綱
                "Sacred Cord?
                Last edited by GHP; 12-15-2019, 03:11 AM.

Comment

南蠻鐵聖綱
                  Nanban Tetsu Masatsuna
                  Southern Steel Masatsuna

Note the missing strokes in his 1st, 2nd, and 3rd kanji!
                  1. Nan, Southern. He has totally messed this kanji up; missing too many stokes.
                  2. Ban, Barbarian. This should be written with the 言 "speak" radical sandwitched between two 糸 "rope" radicals, all above the "worm" 虫 radical.
                  3. Tetsu, Iron. He's missing too many strokes. Compare the "metal" radical 金.
                  4. 聖綱. Masatsuna. I found a few mentions of this mei on google, but no images.

太刀 在銘 南蛮鉄聖綱

太刀 在銘 南蛮鉄聖綱 ■商品詳細 在銘 南蛮鉄聖綱 種別:太刀 長さ:67.5cm  反り:1.5cm 目釘穴:1個 登録:東京都 元幅:約29.6mm 先幅:約21.1mm 元重:約6.3mm 先重:約5.8mm 茎長:約215mm 重量:約756g(刀身のみの重量) ハバキ:銅一重 在銘の太刀です。 鍛えや割れなど無く良好な状態です。佩表切先から18cm付近刃文の中に少し曇りがあります。 スキ・・・
                  I am *still* not convinced the writing on the tang was done by a Japanese craftsman!

According to Chris Bowen

The following smiths include:

1. Those working in the late Bakumatsu period on into the Meiji Period.

2. Smiths not formally affiliated with any of the above groups who nonetheless made swords in Tokyo.

3. Smiths which have not yet been proven to be connected with any of the above groups.

<...>

Masatsuna (聖綱)

<...>
                  Okay ....Maybe Masatsuna failed penmanship in school.

-- Guy

Comment

Does this other blade help solve the puzzle?
                    http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic...una#entry76916

Comment

Originally posted by BenVK View Post
                      Interesting Ben! Same thin, poorly written style.

Comment

Originally posted by BenVK View Post
                        I think that link shows a different hand -- much better than the original poster's.

What do you think:

left: original poster
                        right: from BenVK's link
                        Attached Files

Comment

tang

Looks like the "arrow points" on some of the strikes are going the opposite way, could this have been the example used for the posters sword? More deeply incised into the metal. Nice blade though!

Comment

I'm wondering whether these two blades were forged in the same wartime workshop which probably had quite a few different workers chiseling the tangs, some obviously more skilled than others. Pity there is no pic of the whole nakago on the other forum but from what I can, the forging, tempering and polish are similar.

Comment

It would be interesting to see this in hand, the blade looks ok but the tang, ok nakago, looks odd and unlike any other I have seen. It could have been altered or something else, I will not speculate on the something else without seeing it in hand. Anyone capable of making a quality blade should be just as capable of making a tang of quality as well.
                              Whatever the case, I would not pay a lot for it.
                              Bob
                              www.collectortocollectormilitaria.com

sigpic

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X