Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinion on Tachi

Hello Guys,
    I need your opinion on this Kai Gunto Tachi not familiar with this type of swords..
    Thanks
    Attached Files

Lius, quite a beautiful piece! And way out of my league, someone knowledgable will help. But I'm curious why you call it a "kai gunto"?

Comment

Tachi

Not liking tang with number on it Im thinking nice copy possibly Chinese.

Comment

Originally posted by BruceP View Post
        Lius, quite a beautiful piece! And way out of my league, someone knowledgable will help. But I'm curious why you call it a "kai gunto"?
        Well, that was what the seller told me ...he says is a kai gunto sword,,,,I never had a tachi just regular Katanas and Wakisashis..

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Flanagan View Post
          Not liking tang with number on it Im thinking nice copy possibly Chinese.
          I agree

Comment

100 % china crap sword.
            Its not a kaigunto.

Comment

I agree with the others: Chinese Junk.

Comment

Well Luis,

The experts have spoken. Hope you can get your money back, if you were looking for a kaigunto. If you like the sword, then all is well. But there is nothing about this that qualifies as a kai.

Check here for what a kai looks like: http://ohmura-study.net/945.html

There are some beautifullly made Chinese swords. It's when they try to pretend to be Japanese swords that they fall into the Darkside category.

Comment

Originally posted by BruceP View Post
                  There are some beautifullly made Chinese swords. It's when they try to pretend to be Japanese swords that they fall into the Darkside category.
                  I will say there are some mighty fine "martial arts grade" swords made in China -- some companies have even worked with Japanese companies to replicate katana; Japan makes the koshirae, China fits a tang to the handle and blade to saya. Yeah I guess there're complications with blade curvature -- I don't know how they do it.

Or, at least there used to be such a partnership through SwordStore run by Rick Polland. I've got 4 swords that were made in China (in 2009) with some Japanese oversight. These swords were sold as "Steel Iai-to" for iai practicioners; one style for cutting, another for just kata (lighter in weight with groove ... nice feel!). They cut well, and are the equivalent of gunto -- meaning they would make a good weapons-grade army sword. The steel iaito look Japanese until you get right up close; these swords may not be taken to Japan.

Test results were supplied to Rick; I cannot find it, but the three swords below were tested.
                  • #1 was for cutting -- it performed better than the prototype I was sent, but still chipped on 2" thick green bamboo.
                  • #2 was another upgrade in blade geometry. It cut the same sized bamboo without any nicks or chips.
                  • #3 was for kata -- sharp as a razor, the polish much nicer in person than the image. Well-balance.

-- Guy
                  Attached Files

Comment

There are quite a few Chinese forges producing excellent katana blades these days and the standard of polishing and quality of koshirae keeps getting better and better.

Several years ago, I ordered a custom made blade in the Kogarasu Maru style from China and was very pleased with the end product. I was actually astonished that they made me such a high quality sword for the price I paid which was only about $400 dollars including shipping.

The sword in this thread must be 30 years old at least because it's nowhere near the standard of modern Chinese made swords.

Comment

Yes, while not there yet it is an upgrade from most of the CHinese crap I have seen.
                      Bob
                      www.collectortocollectormilitaria.com

sigpic

Comment

Thanks to all... I told the owner that it's a fake sword.. no idea how he took it...
                        In any case, I'm certain that the Chinese can make fine blades too. It's my understanding that was the Chinese who started producing fine blades then the Japanese copy them even using Chinese swordsmiths for their katanas..

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X