Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Huge Sino Tachi

Hi,
    This is the Chinese tachi I bought at auction with the huge Chinese Gunto in my
    previouse post.The hammer price was £220 plus all the usual charges,but again
    I got a lot for my money.The blade is 76cm and it has a straighter grain than the
    other one.Both have a small hole at the tang end and this one is numbered 8 the
    other is 7.I can say that they are both from the same work shop.Look at the detail of the fittings,great workmanship.
    Cheers
    Attached Files

Yes, nice.

Plum blossoms in the menugi. I don't think this is trying to be a Japanese fake, it is simply a Chinese sword. If sellers present it as Japanese, then it is the fault of the seller, not the maker.

Comment

Illegal to sell in the uk the auction house could get into a lot of trouble selling these

Comment

Under UK law it is illegal to sell any curved swords with a blade over 50cm unless they are -
        Hand forged in a traditional method,
        Is an antique over 100 years old,
        Is a samurai sword made prior to 1954

You could argue that it is hand forged in a traditional method
        (I don’t believe they are in most cases)
        But it really would not be worth the hassle or the expense and if found guilty the penalties are quite hard

Stupid laws I know

Comment

Originally posted by nickn View Post
          Under UK law it is illegal to sell any curved swords with a blade over 50cm unless they are -
          Hand forged in a traditional method,
          Is an antique over 100 years old,
          Is a samurai sword made prior to 1954

You could argue that it is hand forged in a traditional method
          (I don’t believe they are in most cases)
          But it really would not be worth the hassle or the expense and if found guilty the penalties are quite hard

Stupid laws I know
          Coming to America Soon!
          www.collectortocollectormilitaria.com

sigpic

Comment

They banned Luftwaffe ,and other, gravity knives the most useless and least stabby knife out there
            you can’t even own them in your own home

Comment

Originally posted by nickn View Post
              They banned Luftwaffe ,and other, gravity knives the most useless and least stabby knife out there
              you can’t even own them in your own home
              That is absolutely reduculous Nick! Sorry to hear that for all purveyors of history!
              Bob

sigpic

Comment

Sorry to say, its a crap sword and the fittings are poorly cast.

Comment

Hi,
                  I also have Japanese tachi and the fittings are right up there with them.

Comment

I doubt a genuine Japanese made tachi has fittings as bad as these
                    Sorry

Comment

Hi,
                      Ive seen some really bad Japanese made stuff. Scimping using wooden kurikata
                      instead if horn. Badly made tsubas.Bad polishing.The list is endless.

Comment

Let us see the japanese tachi with same fittings, please.

Comment

The guy who did the itomaki was only trained for katana 🤣

Comment

I have seen some pretty poorly made swords and parts. But, I have to wonder, were they truly Japanese made? Were they made for GIs as souvenirs? I had a WWII vet friend who was making flags with writing from laundry tags and more. I don't know what they say they are these days but some of the really crappy quality swords that are made from truck springs, we used to say they were made in the Philippines, they can be horrible quality "whatever they are".
                            This tachi, I would cover the swastikas up and then viewed from 20 feet away I am sure it would be fine. But close up, it hurts my eyes!!!

sigpic

Comment

Hi,
                              It was around the 1880,s that interest in Japanese arms and armour started in Europe.Large quantities of really bad patched up swords were sent over.Saya,s
                              had metal bands fixed to them to hold them together.Swords that were bent in
                              many places were partialy straightened and so on.People who bought this stuff
                              didnt know any better then. I bought one of these swords when I first started collecting.Ive still got it.Any old junk that the Japanese could palm of to Europe,
                              they did so.
                              Cheers

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X