Japanese sword identification help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese sword identification help

Hi all, I would appreciate some help from you great guys here. My uncle needs help identifying a Japanese? Sword that he has. Type and approximate year? As allways your help is most appreciated. Thank you and regards, Johnno.
    Attached Files

Pics

Pics
    Attached Files

Comment

Just for clarity, which saya belongs with your company grade officer’s kyugunto? Only the last photo shows a double hanger and the other photos just single hangers?
      Nice, older blade BTW, I’m working on the mei but Guy will probably chime in before I can work it out!
      Regards,

Kevin.

Comment

Kyu-Gunto Dated 1859

横山裕久作之
        Yokoyama Sukehisa Saku Kore
        This was made by Yokoyama Sukehisa

安政五年二月日
        Ansei 5th year [1859], a day in February

Signature matches this one:
        Sukehisa

Yukoyama Sukehisa belonged from Yokoyama Sukekane school,
        then his style is the same to Sukekane. considering that, Sukehisa must made for his teacher.
        One of the resident experts will advise you what to do if you have the funds.

— Guy

Comment

I’m on the road and don’t have my books, but am I correct this is called a Type 19?

It’s got a real combat blade, not the standard “dress” blade.

Comment

Johnno, can you take more photos of just the blade please including some of the whole tang right to the end. Would also be helpful to measure the blade length from tip to the notch where it meets the habaki.

Comment

Just saw the white tag stating: "Perhaps Japanese navy" - the brown/blue tassel is Company grade Army officer. That, of course, could have been added post-war, but I believe this to be army. When I get home, I'll look it up unless someone confirms that before I do.

Comment

Originally posted by BenVK View Post
                Johnno, can you take more photos of just the blade please including some of the whole tang right to the end. Would also be helpful to measure the blade length from tip to the notch where it meets the habaki.
                I’ll talk to my uncle tonight and ask him to do that Ben. Thanks.

Comment

Gentlemen I spoke to my uncle last night and relayed all the information given so far. He was more that happy with what information has been given so far. It was difficult enough to get the pics from him, he doesn’t email, send text, or photos from his phone or any computer. Very old school. My Aunty has to forward the pics. He said to thank you guys very much for the information and help given here. He appreciates it a lot, and me too. You are a great bunch of guys and allways a pleasure to deal with. Our thanks, Johnno and Jimmy.

Comment

I found one other katana signed Yokoyama Sukehisa Saku Kore on the web and made in the same year, 1859.
                    I'm no expert on signatures but the kanji style and carving look like a match to me. This one is mounted in civilian koshirae.
                    It sold for 380,000 yen which is about 3500 dollars but having NBTHK papers obviously increases the value.

http://www.sword-auction.jp/en/conte...hisa-saku-kore
                    Attached Files

Comment

I found one other katana signed Yokoyama Sukehisa Saku Kore on the web and made in the same year, 1859.
                      I'm no expert on signatures but the kanji style and carving look like a match to me. This one is mounted in civilian koshirae.
                      It sold for 380,000 yen which is about 3500 dollars but having NBTHK papers obviously increases the value.

Thanks very much for that great info Ben. Great to know what something similar has sold for. Respect and regards, Johnno

Comment

...It sold for 380,000 yen which is about 3500 dollars but having NBTHK papers obviously increases the value.

I think that is the same sword I linked to ... which is why I said someone could suggest what the owner could do if he had the funds.

— Guy

Comment

Originally posted by GHP View Post
                          I think that is the same sword I linked to ... which is why I said someone could suggest what the owner could do if he had the funds.

— Guy
                          Thanks very much Guy. As allways your help is very much appreciated. You are a gentleman.... respect. Johnno.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X