Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jpn mess kit, ww2 or post-war?

Hi,
    Need help in identify this Japanese mess kit. WW2, post-war or used by Japanese youth groups? The color is dark brown and complete with lid, inner tray and bottom w/wire handle and all pieces are marked. The markings has two rows of Japanese writings, the right side has katakana and two kanji’s, “RI YO” which I think means “make use of”. The left row has a diamond with the katakana in the middle ( looks like a capital H ) for SA below that are the Japanese number 2600. I think it’s the Japanese year date for 1940. Was this mess kit used in WW2?
    Thank you,
    Rodney

Rodney,

In regards to your questions about your mess kit, I am of the opinion that your mess kit is of World War II vintage.

The “sa” katakana inside the diamond is the manufacturer’s logo (I do not know the name of this manufacturer though), and yes, the numbers “2600” are for 1940.

Out of curiosity, does your mess kit have strap loops on the cover and body for attaching the mess kit to a second pattern Model 99 backpack?

Eric

Comment

Aloha Eric.
      Thanks for your help in identifying the mess kit. Mess kit has the belt loop on the body of the kit but none on the cover. Was katakana used on military equipments common?
      Mahalo,
      Rodney

Comment

Aloha Rodney,

Glad I could be of some assistance to you.

In response to your question, yes, katakana was used on some military equipment. For example, katakana was used on some rifles and some bayonets as series marks.

Hope this helps.

Eric

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X