MilitariaRelicts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Japanese Sword for Review - Machine Made (WWII)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese Sword for Review - Machine Made (WWII)?

All:

I recently received a call from a local gun shop re: a WWII bring-back sword (U.S. GI war trophy) that has been consigned to the shop for sale. Attached are a number of photos I took that, hopefully depict the relevant areas of the sword.

My best guess is (based on my very limited knowledge of Japanese swords, gleaned from this Forum) is that that sword is a machine-made example from WWII. That said, my educated guess is irrelevant . . . I would very much appreciate input from the knowledgeable collectors who populate this forum.

Any all input and comments would be most appreciated!

Also: No price has yet been set for the sword. As it is an attractive looking piece, I do have some interest in purchasing it for my personal collection (if a fair price can be arrived at). Thus, any value range estimates you have of offer would be appreciated as well. In making any such valuation estimates, please be sure to note that the tip of the scabbard is damaged/missing, so I want to make sure that this factor is included in any value estimates.

BTW: The very light white chalk-like substance visible in the swordsmith's markings was added by me at the time of taking photos; it is a very light dry powder substance that can be easily brushed away. Also, the sword was already dissembled when I encountered it.

Regards,

Alan
    Attached Files

Additional photos to assist in evaluation of the sword:
    Attached Files

Comment

I did not get a good photo, but one side of the tang has inked markings on it.
      Attached Files

Comment

No shu seki ju kani Hisa saku kore
        At least that’s what I think I can see on my iPhone without my glasses
        Oil quenched machine made $6-800 I guess

Comment

Here’s what I see:

**於兼丈作之
          **Oite Kanejo Saku Kore
          This was made by Kanejo At **

I’m not that confident about my reading of 兼 (Kane); maybe; maybe not.

— Guy

Comment

Originally posted by nickn View Post
            No shu seki ju kani Hisa saku kore
            At least that’s what I think I can see on my iPhone without my glasses
            Oil quenched machine made $6-800 I guess
            That might be ”Seki juu” 関住 with minimal strokes for the former, and extra strokes for the latter .... But I’m not sure. I can definitely see 住 but it has extra strokes on top and that confuses me.

??????

Comment

Alan,

This is a nicely made Type 98 Shingunto. While the blade may have been oil quenched, and may have not been made of tamahagane steel, and I say MAY; it is hand-made and quite nice. Nick must have great sources to get gunto at his prices . Most gunto like this that I see are going in the $900-1,200 range, average $1,000.

Comment

I would have to agree with nick. Plenty of nicer ones I have seen sell on auctions for under $900. This is in good shape but the blade does have chips in it which will not be worth the cost to polish out. You can get gendaito and older blades in mounts for easily $1200 range

Comment

Sorry Bruce it isn’t a gendiato
                  I put I gendiato on waf admittedly the tsuka needed a wrap but it finally sold for around $400
                  Showato unless mint are not great sellers

Comment

Originally posted by nickn View Post
                    Sorry Bruce it isn’t a gendiato
                    I put I gendiato on waf admittedly the tsuka needed a wrap but it finally sold for around $400
                    Showato unless mint are not great sellers
                    Wow, that’s incredible! The market has been really falling!

Comment

That's a beautiful shingunto sword...also has a Mon,,,on e bay they go for around $1000.

Comment

I very much appreciate all of the feedback received; you have been very helpful.

Here are a couple of photos showing the damage to the tip of the scabbard. Is there any chance I can get the missing end piece replaced (by a knowledgeable craftsman) with something that would approximate the age/look of the fittings on the balance of the sword?

Also, I have made an offer on the sword . . . I will provide an update if the offer is accepted.
                        Attached Files

Comment

You can sometimes get Kojiri on ebay although it's not a big deal that it's missing.

Comment

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WW2-Japanes...cAAOSwrTFdab6g

Comment

Just an observation but very long nakago on this blade that's been shortened.
                              Unusual for a run of the mill showato?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X