Type 14 nambu advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Type 14 nambu advice

I just picked this up from the son of the vet who brought it back. He is older now and his kids don't want it, so here it is with me. I need advice on what you might do as far as the spotting and bits of surface rust on it. I know to re-blue it, the value would drop, but the way it is, the value is lower anyway. Is there anything I can do short of re-blueing to clean it up a bit, steel wool, etc? I think it was stored in the holster for a long time. It comes with two non matching mags, but no extra fireing pin. The seller called yesterday and says he believes he found the bring back papers, so I'll go check them out soon. Anyway, I would appreciate your thoughts on what to do. Does a re-blue really drop value, or just a bit of a drop? Thanks in advance.
    Dave
    Attached Files

next 1
    Attached Files

Comment

last
      Attached Files

Comment

OH MY GOD DO NOT BLUE IT!!!!. Tokyo/Kukura Army Arsenal had only been making guns for two years and only made 340 the month and year yours was made. It is a pretty little small guard made in Aug 1930. They were rust blued and all turn brown. The finish is not at all in bad shape. IMO you destroy the value of the pistol rebluing it. You would pay more to have it reblued than it would be worth after. The holster appears to be very nice also. Are the square attachments painted brass or steel?

Comment

Thank you for the info. I was only going to re-blue if the info I got from you guys was a yes. I am glad to hear what you just told me about it. The square attachments are magnetic, so I guess they are steel. I will leave it as is, and not screw it up.
          Dave

Comment

I agree that it would very wrong to rebule this one and I would take a gun with one or more mis-matched parts any day over one that re-finished outside of its military service.

I always recommend keeping a light coat of quality gun oil on any old firearm and storing it in something like a bore store, and never touching metal with bare hands without wiping surface afterwards.

Although many here may cringe, I can tell you that this finish could be somewhat restored without any damage to the original finish remaining, which is a LOT.
            Whether that is done or not is up to you, but either way I would get some thin oil on this surface ( and internals) and wipe with clean cloth and repeat oiling. You will see some of that fingerprint rust come off and smooth out.

Comment

I appreciate that info. I will get that done. Thank you.
              Dave

Comment

The holster is much later than the pistol. Is it leather or rubberized canvas?

Comment

As others have stated do not re-blue. There are ways to carefully make improvements but lots of experience and patience is required (steel wool is definitely not recommended). Phild's advice is best. Nice pistol!

Comment

The holster is rubberized canvas, I believe. Thanks for the advice.
                    Dave

Comment

I add my advice of do not re-blue to the list. It's not a rusted relic lump and it still looks decent. But get someone who is competent with guns to improve the condition of it.

Comment

I really like the vet's information written on the underside of the holster flap, particularly as I have an interest in the 32nd Infantry Division due to a soldier from my hometown having served in that division in New Guinea and on Leyte Island.

I did a quick internet lookup and it appears that "APO 72 Base K" was at Tacloban on Leyte Island in the Philippines.

https://www.pacificwrecks.com/provinces/philippines_tacloban.html

I, too, think that someone who is experienced with cleaning vintage small arms should be able to gently clean this one up and it will look 1,000% better.

Comment

Do not re blue this Pistol! I would just rub it down well with a clean rag an some good old gun oil. Check the born for pitting also. They are notorious for broken firing pins so check it out. Also check the follower.

Sal

Comment

Thank you Alan for that info. I, too, thought that is pretty neat. The firing pin and follower are both in good shape, however, unmarked pin. The barrel inside is very clean and good grooves. Must not have been shot much.
                            Dave

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X