Assistance needed on Japanese Officer Sword

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assistance needed on Japanese Officer Sword

Never did I think so many Japanese swords would come into my life, but a second this year from an antique store, while traveling in Virginia (I don't collect swords or Japanese WWII)! I only know enough to recognize just a little bit. This is a Japanese WWII Officer sword. When I removed the handle - it has markings on both sides, which is very odd (to me). I have highlighted them in white chalk. What do the markings mean? It was missing the wooden peg in the handle when I bought it.

The sword was sold to the antique store from a WWII Veterans estate (no history). It is in beautiful condition, although the blade does have scratches from use (or abuse). There is a faint wavy "hamon" line at the edge of the blade (if I am describing that correctly. Other than that, I know it is an officer sword, and the first I have ever owned.

Thank you for the assistance once again.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

This sword is pre-war, from 1926?

Comment

Showa 16 is 1941.

Regards

Russ

Comment

Showa 16 is 1941.

Smith:
          兼廣
          Kanehiro

Comment

Hi
            Could you post photos of the whole sword please?
            Regards
            Frank

Comment

Wonderful! Thank you. Sorry for the mix-up, I thought "chen" had highlighted the year of 1926. Got it, May of 1941.
              Here are more photos. It is actually in very pretty condition, with almost all of the scabbard paint. The blade has lots of scratches all over it (difficult to photograph):
              Attached Files

Comment

Please leave the blade as-is and do not attempt to polish or buff the blade.

--Guy

Comment

Thanks Guy! I was not planning on it. I bought it because I liked it - as is!
                  I do need that little wooden peg for the handle. Is there a specific one I should use, or any round piece of wood is OK?

Comment

Originally posted by Quest Master View Post
                    Is there a specific one I should use, or any round piece of wood is OK?
                    Smoked bamboo is what is originally used. But a piece of a chopstick will work if you plan on just displaying it.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X