No announcement yet.

Another ww2 used sword

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Habaki appears to be genuine silver not plated. difficult to see the Mei both sides are marked.
    Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Interesting blade who did the polish and shirasaya?

Comment

gorgeous sword...congrats!

Comment

Hi,
            thanks for your comments Poiish was top by a top level Polisher in Japan organised by Paul Martin.

Comment

Originally posted by merdock View Post
              Hi,
              thanks for your comments Poiish was top by a top level Polisher in Japan organised by Paul Martin.
              OOooooooohhh ..... I've met Paul. Real nice and knowledgeable fellah! Highly recommend.

--Guy

Comment

Even shortened, that's one brutal and beautiful Naginata!
                I like the polish, for me it's somewhere inbetween the keisho and sashikomi styles and the shinogi and bo-hi aren't burnished too much which is good thing in my book.
                I'm curious how long ago was it done?

Comment

Originally posted by GHP View Post
                  I’m thinking it was made as a sword in shinogi-zukuri (think of “Kogarasu Maru” except with a normal kisaki).
                  http://www.thesamuraiworkshop.com/un...bi-zukuri.html
                  I'm fairly certain it's a Nagamaki-naoshi. The kissaki has been reahaped and the hamon significantly reduced. The nakago has been shortened(you can see the hamon runs through into it.) I don't know the nakago length, but it only has one mekugi-ana so it was shortened quite a bit. If this was originally a katana it would have been well over 34" nagasa I'm guessing.

Comment

The ana is so close to the end of the fuller. I wonder where would be the original ana if there was one?

Comment

Originally posted by oldhonda View Post
                      The ana is so close to the end of the fuller. I wonder where would be the original ana if there was one?
                      Originally, if a nagamaki the tang would've been around 75% the length of the blade. So over 2 feet long. The mekugi-ana is placed 3 fingers from the machi on a katana. On a naginata I have seen them close or quite a distance away.

Comment

Thanks! This was a Naginata for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Logan09 View Post
                          I'm fairly certain it's a Nagamaki-naoshi. The kissaki has been reahaped and the hamon significantly reduced. The nakago has been shortened(you can see the hamon runs through into it.) I don't know the nakago length, but it only has one mekugi-ana so it was shortened quite a bit. If this was originally a katana it would have been well over 34" nagasa I'm guessing.

Merdoc,

What was Paul Martin's assessment of this blade? Surely he must have said something to you about its original shape (naginata-naoshi, etc.)?

Logan, I also noticed the thinning of the hamon at kissaki; but, not being very knowledgeable, I didn't know if this blade had been reshaped, or if it was originally intended to be this way.

I keep learning from everybody's posts; thanks!

--Guy

Comment

Naginata Naoshi.

Comment

The hamon actually drops off near the point. Still a nice old sword though.

Bill Rannow
                              Mpls, MN

Comment

not that good photos ok to me.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X