Opinions on NCO and Navy Swords

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on NCO and Navy Swords

Thought Id share these swords. NCO blade in fantastic shape and numbers match...Navy in great shape with a few small nicks in blade.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Those are nice! Did you just pick those up?

Do you have the scoop on that cord on the kai? It seems to be made not as a tassel but as an alternative retention cord. I'll try to find the thread on that. It was run through the first belt hanger loop (I've recently learned is called a "haikan" not an "ashi") and tied arond the tsuka a backup means of keeping the blade from slipping out of the saya.

Update: Here's a picture of a retention cord (still trying to find the Japanese word for it. I don't think it's sageo, as that was the thick wrapping about a tachi ashi) Yours has tassels at the end, so a bit different than this one. If it's not a retention cord, I'm not sure what it is as the Navy tassel was all brown, not red.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by BruceP; 08-03-2019, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Thanks and yes I just got them today. I don't have any info except that the previous owner didnt want them (which is so often the case)

Comment

Originally posted by coloradocowboy View Post
          Thought Id share these swords. NCO blade in fantastic shape and numbers match...Navy in great shape with a few small nicks in blade.
          Hi
          The Navy Sword is one of the swords that is a little controversial, because of the mix of army and naval fittings it is said to be a souvenir made after the war from original parts for GI's other say its a naval landing sword, Every one of these swords Ive seen are identical and in mint or near mint condition. I like them and would like to own one.
          Regards
          Frank

Comment

Yes - NCO blade is in really nice shape considering rest of sword (paint loss, etc..) I've seen a few in similar condition on scabbard, Tsuba … but the blade is also normally worse for the wear … this one is well preserved. Very cool. Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Phronsias View Post
              Hi
              The Navy Sword is one of the swords that is a little controversial, because of the mix of army and naval fittings it is said to be a souvenir made after the war from original parts for GI's other say its a naval landing sword, Every one of these swords Ive seen are identical and in mint or near mint condition. I like them and would like to own one.
              Regards
              Frank
              Dang Frank good catch! I missed that! Yes the “navy” gunto is now 99%known to have been a post war collaboration with the Army PX and local manufacturers, likely part of McArthur’s efforts to keep the Japanese economy going. You can read about this here : http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/japane...sion-672281-2/ where one of these was sold to a G.I. In 1950.

Comment

Interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by BruceP View Post
                  Dang Frank good catch! I missed that! Yes the “navy” gunto is now 99%known to have been a post war collaboration with the Army PX and local manufacturers, likely part of McArthur’s efforts to keep the Japanese economy going. You can read about this here : http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/japane...sion-672281-2/ where one of these was sold to a G.I. In 1950.

Comment

If I were to put navy on the estand, what would be a fair price?

Comment

I guess $500 each,,,

Comment

Originally posted by BruceP View Post
                        Those are nice! Did you just pick those up?

Do you have the scoop on that cord on the kai? It seems to be made not as a tassel but as an alternative retention cord. I'll try to find the thread on that. It was run through the first belt hanger loop (I've recently learned is called a "haikan" not an "ashi") and tied arond the tsuka a backup means of keeping the blade from slipping out of the saya.

Update: Here's a picture of a retention cord (still trying to find the Japanese word for it. I don't think it's sageo, as that was the thick wrapping about a tachi ashi) Yours has tassels at the end, so a bit different than this one. If it's not a retention cord, I'm not sure what it is as the Navy tassel was all brown, not red.
                        Its a fusahimo from a sword bag.

Comment

thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Phronsias View Post
                            I read the link Phronsias posted and the evidence is irrefutable that they did have a contract to MAKE and sell some (6-8K?) "navy swords" for the PX system. We don't know exactly what features those swords had but just the fact that they were manufactured postwar is a mind blower to me and explains a lot about the machine made blades in "navy" type swords I have been offered over the many years. Sure wish someone could find an old PX catalog that showed the design and fittings on those. As always Caveat Emptor
                            Last edited by beretta1934; 10-01-2019, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by beretta1934 View Post
                              I read the link Phronsias posted and the evidence is irrefutable that they did have a contract to MAKE and sell some (6-8K?) "navy swords" for the PX system. We don't know exactly what features those swords had but just the fact that they were manufactured postwar is a mind blower to me and explains a lot about the machine made blades in "navy" type swords I have been offered over the many years. Sure wish someone could find an old PX catalog that showed the design and fittings on those. As always Caveat Emptor
                              Hi
                              Have you seen this? http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=910675
                              Regards
                              Frank

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X