Saipan Dog Tag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saipan Dog Tag

Here’s a tag that I just picked up. I’m pretty sure it’s been in one or two members hands. The 11939 is the 43rd Division signal unit, Soldier #91. Was attached to the 31st Army Group on Saipan. I’m really glad to have a tag from Saipan and wish I had information on who brought it back so I could possibly trace out the areas where this may have been picked up at. The only thing I am wondering about is the string. .
    Attached Files

I like the brass green oxidation stain on cord. Uncertain when cord was added & by whom

Comment

Originally posted by Jareth View Post
      I like the brass green oxidation stain on cord. Uncertain when cord was added & by whom
      It looks definitely looks to have been with the tag for a long time and half length is about 15 inches in total 30 inches long. Here’s a few more pictures of back and how it’s bound together.
      Attached Files

Comment

My great uncle mike passed away a couple years back, he was a us navy ww2 vet in the Seabees and was an engineer for us steel here in the Pittsburgh area for many years afterward. He was on the island of Saipan for some time, I think he said they were building a landing strip for planes, something to that affect. He said the guys had so much Japanese stuff they shipped home during and after the war- they just found tons of stuff during construction - he shipped crates of goodies himself. Many of the guys in his unit were from western pa and eastern Ohio. If it was found there, it’s a good chance one of those guys found it. Could the rope be a navy or a Seabees piece of material?

Comment

Originally posted by Byzanti View Post
          My great uncle mike passed away a couple years back, he was a us navy ww2 vet in the Seabees and was an engineer for us steel here in the Pittsburgh area for many years afterward. He was on the island of Saipan for some time, I think he said they were building a landing strip for planes, something to that affect. He said the guys had so much Japanese stuff they shipped home during and after the war- they just found tons of stuff during construction - he shipped crates of goodies himself. Many of the guys in his unit were from western pa and eastern Ohio. If it was found there, it’s a good chance one of those guys found it. Could the rope be a navy or a Seabees piece of material?
          I honestly don’t have any idea of where the Vet who had this was from. Any idea of who this SeaBee was with. I got a few pieces from a SeaBee who was with the 18th Marines at Guadalcanal, Tarawa and wounded at Saipan on the 16th.

Comment

Originally posted by muddyboots View Post
            I honestly don’t have any idea of where the Vet who had this was from. Any idea of who this SeaBee was with. I got a few pieces from a SeaBee who was with the 18th Marines at Guadalcanal, Tarawa and wounded at Saipan on the 16th.
            I really don’t know; but there must have been some fighting involved, he received a bronze star. I’ll ask my cousin this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Byzanti View Post
              I really don’t know; but there must have been some fighting involved, he received a bronze star. I’ll ask my cousin this weekend.
              Sometimes you can research his name online and find information about the Seabee’s that he may have served with. When you find out who he was type his ( name in and naval construction battalion ) and there’s a very good chance you will be able too find information about him and maybe how he got his Bronze Star.

Comment

Originally posted by muddyboots View Post
                Sometimes you can research his name online and find information about the Seabee’s that he may have served with. When you find out who he was type his ( name in and naval construction battalion ) and there’s a very good chance you will be able too find information about him and maybe how he got his Bronze Star.
                Thanks James !

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X