Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Naval dagger question

Hi Fellas,
    A fairly quick question to ask you,Japanese Naval dagger with shark skin grip and rectangle opening in the crossguard but the scabbard has no button (never had one) etc to clip the two together,is this acceptable to find originals like this?,I'm presuming a late war modification from the factory.
    Sorry i can't post pics as no longer an assoc. member.

Comments welcome and appreciated
    Bob

Anybody? I can email pics if wanted ..

Comment

Bob, on the face of it, it doesn’t sound normal. Like maybe a post-war put-together or a wartime substitute for a damaged saya.

PM me and I’ll give you my email and post your pictures.

Comment

They have normally only rayskin on the handle.
        With out button , it sounds like late war dirk with celluloid rayskin.

Comment

Originally posted by BruceP View Post
          Bob, on the face of it, it doesn’t sound normal. Like maybe a post-war put-together or a wartime substitute for a damaged saya.

PM me and I’ll give you my email and post your pictures.
          Thanks Bruce
          PM on the way to you

Cheers
          Bob

Comment

Originally posted by gunto View Post
            They have normally only rayskin on the handle.
            With out button , it sounds like late war dirk with celluloid rayskin.
            Hopefully you'll be able to tell when i've sent the pics to Bruce..

Thanks Guys for your help

Bob

Comment

Sent pics to Bruce

Comment

Here are Bob’s pics so far. Your guess is most likely correct. Dirks have the chuso clip built into the saya, so your blade arraignment is right, but something is non-standard about the saya. Judging by the misaligned opening of the koiguchi, I’d say it’s been repaired or re-fitted.

I’d like to see a clearer picture of the metalwork, flower and leaves if you’ll send me one. The pattern looks right on the saya tip, but the top part looks unusually plain in the blurry photo.
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for posting the pics Bruce,i'll see if i can get some more from the seller..

Cheers
                  Bob

Comment

celluloid on the handle and the lack of habaki indicates Late war.

Comment

Originally posted by gunto View Post
                      celluloid on the handle and the lack of habaki indicates Late war.
                      Thanks Gunto! have you ever seen one without the chuso?

Bob,

Thanks for the added pics (posted). It's legit, commisioned officer dirk. Now that we have pics, the experts can evaluate. I'm not really up on dirks that much.

You can see damage to the leather just at the top of the saya tip metal fitting, so maybe this was a repair.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BruceP View Post
                        Thanks Gunto! have you ever seen one without the chuso?

Bob,

Thanks for the added pics (posted). It's legit, commisioned officer dirk. Now that we have pics, the experts can evaluate. I'm not really up on dirks that much.

You can see damage to the leather just at the top of the saya tip metal fitting, so maybe this was a repair.
                        I have 2 dirks with out the lock clip. Its a common variant.

Comment

Bruce big thanks to you buddy for posting the pics for me,glad you fellas like it,I'm not up with all the Japanese lingo you guys use but i do understand the word original.
                          Cheers!
                          Bob

Comment

Bruce,your buddy has been in touch regarding the shin gunto type 95..I thank you.

Comment

I bought this Naval Dirk,thanks for your help Guysas i really have no idea regarding WW2 Japanese items.if anybody has some good ww2 German items and is interested in a trade please drop me a PM...

Many thanks

Bob

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X