Vet Acquired Flag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vet Acquired Flag

A friend of the family was aboard LST-937 and made landfall in Mindanao in 1945. According to him, he and a shipmate drew .45 Thompsons and went looking for souvenirs. They wandered too far off a beaten path, running into a Japanese patrol and a brief firefight erupted. He said he was scared to death, and saw this flag on one of the soldiers. He grabbed it and "ran like hell" back to the LST.

The flag is maybe 18" x 24" and currently in a frame. A small portion of the top and bottom are folded under to accommodate the frame.

Might anyone be able to tell me what it says?? Thanks!
    Attached Files

Sorry, it is all just a story! This is one of the infamous "Tojo Flags" that has a copy of Tojo Hideki's signature. These flags were made by SeeBees.

--Guy

Comment

That is actually, not surprising. Based on other stories I have recently heard, the vet had a tendency to embellish. Thanks for the information. I appreciate it. Does it have any value at all?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Kibler View Post
        That is actually, not surprising. Based on other stories I have recently heard, the vet had a tendency to embellish. Thanks for the information. I appreciate it. Does it have any value at all?

Hi Tom,

I'm not a collector, so I don't know the value. I have read of some forum members keeping one as a part of the Pacific War history, and said they would display the "Tojo Flag" with an authentic "Yosegaki" flag.

--Guy

Comment

Hi Tom, I agree with Guy, they do have value, as its a real part of GI history. Not a real yosegaki, but a part of history nonetheless. Values are all over the board. They tend to sell in the $150 range when someone does not realize what it actually is. This is a type of flag that a flag collector who wants one of everything is going to buy, then its more in the $75 range +/- .

PG-

Comment

Yes, these definitely have value and will only increase in value in the future. I imagine years from now some collectors will search out only these types of flags, tracking down as many variations as possible. Nature of the beast.

Tom

Comment

Thanks Gents!!

Here is another (different) vet acquired flag. This vet was from my home town, and collected not just Japanese flags, but teeth... As the flag indicates, he was part of the 77th ID. My dad turned down the jar full of teeth with gold fillings. (Pretty grizzly, but true).
              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X