Sad news in the Japanese collecting field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sad news in the Japanese collecting field

Just heard some very sad news this morning.

To most of the militaria collectors out there you have heard the name Nakata before or have seen his books ( which used to be the only books available on the subject of Japanese militaria).

I was told today that Mr Nakata has passed away. He was the last of the original collectors in Japan and one of the nicest people I met I japan.

On one of my early trips to Japan I had made it a very important to stop and get to met him. So we went to Nakata Shoten in Ueno and while a friend was going upstairs to see if he was available I looked around the shop. Well over to one side was an elderly Japanese man, wearing slacks and a wife beater type undershirt, sweeping up and picking up trash. I kept getting in his way and trying to apologize, but he kept working and smiling. Finally Mr Nakata's son Tetsuji came down and we talked a bit because I had already known Tetsuji ( but didn't realize what his last name was). He asked what he could do to help and I said it would really great to meet meet his father as his name was so important in the business. Well Tetsuji laughed a little and said something to the little old man that was sweeping up and he came over to us. At that point I was introduced the legend himself Nakata sr. I start stumbling over my words and sr. just smiled and gave me the most respectful bow and had ever received in Japan, and proceeded to tell me how much he had heard about Bob Chatt and it was his pleasure to meet me. Talk about a mind blowing experience.It was also incredible to know that the "boss" still cleaned the shop when he had time while all his employees were helping customers. From then on whenever I had time and he had time when, when I came to Ueno he would show me various parts of his Japanese collection and his incredible US collection.

My condolences go out to his family and employees, and I am glad to say I considered him a bit of a teacher to me on my many trips to Japan.

Rest in Peace Mr Nakata........
    "Militaria shows are a social event for anti-social people"--A.T. 2008

ASMIC Executive President

Very sorry to read this Bob, much respect to Mr Nakata

Comment

Sorry to hear the news. Mr Nakata did so much to promote and expand the collecting of Imperial Japanese militaria over his entire lifetime - his contribution is almost uncountable. He will be sorely missed.

Comment

Mr. Nakata's first book was my childhood collecting reference book of choice. We owe a great deal of gratitude. RIP & condolences to his family.

Comment

So very sorry to hear, Bob. Thank you for posting this information.

Comment

Sincere condolences to the Nakata family.

Regards

Russ

Comment

Death of Mr. Nakata

Thank you for your post, Bob. Very sorry to hear about Mr. Nakata's passing. Like many of us, his book was the first and only book for a long time that sat on my book shelf.

MikeB

Comment

Thank you for the information Bob, and RIP Mr. Nakata, your work has been invaluable to the collecting fraternity.

Comment

A great loss to the collecting community. Rest in peace, Mr. Nakata.

Comment

Sad news indeed! Will his son keep the shop open?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X