Fafe Rising Sun Flag???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fafe Rising Sun Flag???

I think this may be fake or post war. Any ideas? It's about 3x5 and thin cotton? material. Not synthetic.
    Attached Files

Why would this be fake? Looks old and moth eaten.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I can not find any info to confirm it's real. Nothing on known stamps. I have no idea if the construction is correct.
      Last edited by p-59a; 01-14-2019, 02:45 AM.

Comment

Found this on line. Id'ed as Japanese Marine flag taken at Tarawra 1943. All most identical construction.
        Attached Files

Comment

Can you post a photo of the flag with the flag laying down and the camera trying to be right over the middle and looking straight down as possible? Sort of a "gods eye view". Want to see the position of the Sun relative to the centroid of the flag.

Comment

bunting
            Attached Files

Comment

details
              Attached Files

Comment

flag
                Attached Files

Comment

If it was from the “Japanese Imperial Marines” on Betio it would most likely be a Navy flag... but it isn’t.

Regards

Russ

Comment

Ask Daniel Griffin, he is very good on these items, he is a moderator here.

Comment

I wasn't saying this is anything. What I was saying is the flag from another site has construction like the one I have. That's all. The site I pulled the photo from IDed their flag as Japanese Marine, I have no idea what that is based on.

Comment

So a flag where the rising sun is offset towards the hanging end is a classic IJN flag. A rising sun that is centered is called an IJA (Army) flag.

Yours looks like an IJA flag and has some wear but not excessive IMHO. The great thing about this flag is its the perfect display size!

I had a IJN flag from a capital worship, and as impressive as it was, it was a beast to display and just sat in its original chest the vast majority of the time :-(

You should be happy with this one

Comment

Originally posted by beretta1934 View Post
                          So a flag where the rising sun is offset towards the hanging end is a classic IJN flag. A rising sun that is centered is called an IJA (Army) flag.

Yours looks like an IJA flag and has some wear but not excessive IMHO. The great thing about this flag is its the perfect display size!

I had a IJN flag from a capital worship, and as impressive as it was, it was a beast to display and just sat in its original chest the vast majority of the time :-(

You should be happy with this one
                          I am happy to read this! Now the question becomes was it intended for any one use? IE individual soldier item or some kind of rally or location signal. The rope has me wondering. Thank you!!!!

Comment

Small flags can have many uses but it would not likely be an individual use. The Imperial Army had many, many small boats too for moving troops and supplies, IJA also had it's own submarines. Easily could have been used on a landing barge

The reinforced rope on one side is the classic design of something to be run up a flag pole
                            Last edited by beretta1934; 01-14-2019, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by beretta1934 View Post
                              Small flags can have many uses but it would not likely be an individual use. Army has many small boats too for moving troops and supplies, IJA also had it's own submarines.

The reinforced rope on one side is the classic design of something to be run up a flag pole
                              Good deal, Thank you...Why are no sites around that go into detail on Japanese flags? German flag information abounds.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X