Please help with surrender nametag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help with surrender nametag

Hau'oli Makahiki Hou to All and Wish a Safe and Healthy 2019!!!...

I know I posted this a long time ago but can someone please translate my Katsu Masa shingunto’s surrender cloth nametag that is attached to the bag’s tie cord.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ght=katsu+masa

The top kanji might be KA and the bottom, MEI, can’t make out the middle one.

Mahalo,
    Rodney

加藤 明
    Katō Akira

— Guy
    Last edited by GHP; 01-13-2019, 08:31 PM. Reason: Used different Akira kanji; changed 昭 to 明

Comment

Mahalo Guy for the translating the nametag. It’s hard even with a kanji book. I tried counting the strokes, radical index and still couldn’t connect it.
      I appreciate your help very much.

After watching the film “Forgive-Don’t Forget” last year it made me wonder about the surrender nametag, now will become part of its history.

Comment

Originally posted by RodneyO View Post
        Mahalo Guy for the translating the nametag. It’s hard even with a kanji book. I tried counting the strokes, radical index and still couldn’t connect it.
        I appreciate your help very much.

After watching the film “Forgive-Don’t Forget” last year it made me wonder about the surrender nametag, now will become part of its history.

Glad to help!
        By the way, the secret is to count RADICAL strokes. Take for example. Count (1) the "radical" -- in this case "sun" -- that's 4 strokes; then (2) count the remaining strokes -- in this case "moon" -- that's also 4 strokes.
        If you use the on-line Kanji dictionary go to section 4 and find , then click it. Look at the resulting kanji [in this case it says: Found 597 kanji <small>(Jouyou kanji are colored darker)</small>]; then go to the section displaying kanji with 8 total strokes and go down the list. If you can't find your kanji, then try one section above and/or one section below.
        Generally that will help you find your mystery kanji. Generally! You have know things like the radical shows up as a 3-stroke, but historically it is a 7-stroke!!! Check this chart for 7-strokes and that's where is.

Cheers,
        --Guy

Comment

Wow!, Guy…Mahalo for the online Kanji Dictionary (Bookmark!!) and the quick lesson on how to use it. I was told that the kanji changed or simplified after WW2 and without your dedication and hard work here it would be impossible for many of us here to fully enjoy what we collect. Translation is the number one question I think we all have in collecting Japanese militaria.

Aloha,
          Rodney

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X