Japanese Headbands ID Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese Headbands ID Needed

Japanese Headbands ID Needed...These 2 are from an old collection and are supposed to be WWII...The Hachimaki (white one) translates Divine Wind-Kami Kaze...the red one I have no clue.

Thanks,

Ed
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Ed Hicks
    Japanese Headbands ID Needed...These 2 are from an old collection and are supposed to be WWII...The Hachimaki (white one) translates Divine Wind-Kami Kaze...the red one I have no clue.

Thanks,

Ed
    Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

The Red one is modern Kanji and translates as

"Deep Purple: Live in Japan"

Comment

Just kidding

Comment

Dear Ed,

Not to contradict our moderator's fine interpretation , actually he's close; the red one isn't Japanese, it's Chinese, and looks like some martial arts association or such.

Regards,
              Bill Unland

Comment

Originally posted by W.Unland
                Dear Ed,

Not to contradict our moderator's fine interpretation , actually he's close; the red one isn't Japanese, it's Chinese, and looks like some martial arts association or such.

Regards,
                Bill Unland
                Thanks for the evaluation, it looked odd so I can throw it in my "WTF was I thinking" pile.

Ed

Comment

Or sell it to a deep purple fan !!

Comment

The Kami Kaze one cannot be war time. At that time, prior to the Kyoikuchokugo
                    (Imperial Rescript on Education) the Kanji would have been written right to left, not left to right.

Comment

Actually,

The red one is Chinese and has nothing to do with a "martial arts association"

It says "success and hope things turn out as you wish in the year of the snake, good luck and a long life"
                      In China, the year of the snake comes after the year of the dragon, and this is a chinese new years wish for the year of the snake. There are 12 animals in the chinese zodiac and they run in 12 year cycles. In China, the snake is also known as "the little dragon". The last Snake year was 2001.

Regards,
                      Brett
                      Last edited by Sonderkommando; 04-14-2005, 10:56 AM.

Comment

I"m not a serious Japanese collector by any stretch, so take this for what it's worth; I have one of those "Kamikaze" headbands, like that shown here, packed away someplace. Except.....I got mine while stationed in Iwakuni, Japan (an old Zero base, supposedly) from a vendor out in town, and it's stone cold made in 1985. It looks identical to yours...down to the frayed cotton edges. A bunch of us drunk Marines bought em one night, and ran screaming through downtown wearing them. Far from taking a dim view of this, the local citizenry found it hilarious, as did the Japanese police. The MP's, however, weren't so forgiving.

Anyway.....you get the idea.

Best Regards,

Jason

Comment

Jason,

<O</O
                          I hope you didn’t wear the headband into that place that made the best BLT’s in town on right hand side just before the main gate as you probably would have scared the heck out of Miss Kitty(?)!

<O</O
                          Eric
                          Iwakuni 1981-1984

Comment

Hey Eric! Glad to see we were on the same ground. No, just ran up and down the street acting like idiots. Most of the places were closed by that time, as I recall, it was about 0200 or so. Memory is sorta hazy on details tho.... HA! Too many "Taiwan Boogies". They were DAMN good BLT's too!

Jason
                            Iwakuni 85, 87. (VMFA-312, the Fighting Checkerboards)

Comment

Jason,

Boy, I forgot all about those “Taiwan Boogies.”

Yeah, those were the days weren’t they.

I don’t think my body could survive that kind of abuse now though.

Speaking of Iwakuni, I should probably did out the photo I have of that old “kamikaze” hanger that was over by MAG-15 and post it on the forum.

Eric
                              Iwakuni 1981-1984 (MABS-12 Communications, “The Village Rats”)

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X