IJA helmet for your review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IJA helmet for your review

all the pics i have. can someone translate what it says on the inside? thank you

more pics. is it a named or unit marked? thank you

Comment

Nice Helmet!

This is what I think the right side kanji (closest rim edge underneath) possibly is 塀 Hei which means fence or wall. If it's a family name: Fukuzumi, Fukusumi, Fukushige or one of 5 other pronunciations. The other "character" doesn't make sense to me but maybe Guy can set us straight on both counts.

Comment

It’s

Hori

Hori is a surname. The other side is pretty much obliterated so I do not know if this a compound-kanji name or just Hori.

The large one コ is katakana for the sound “ko”.

— Guy

Comment

Okay, just looked again (I’m on an iPhone!) and I’m fairly confident the soldier’s name was:
          堀川
          Horikawa

— Guy

Comment

Originally posted by GHP View Post
            It’s

Hori

Hori is a surname. The other side is pretty much obliterated so I do not know if this a compound-kanji name or just Hori.

The large one コ is katakana for the sound “ko”.

— Guy
            That's nice work Guy! I knew it was wrong but thought you may respond to a foolish gaijin error and posted anyway.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Rod G View Post
              That's nice work Guy! I knew it was wrong but thought you may respond to a foolish gaijin error and posted anyway.

Thanks!

Thanks for taking the first shot.

Sorry for taking so long to respond. I’ve been on an iPhone off and on; didn’t have the energy to open multiple screens. Until today. (^。^)

— Guy

Comment

Is this not a small size helmet?

GEAUX SAINTS!
                Dennis J

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis J View Post

GEAUX SAINTS!
                  Dennis J
                  It may be, but that kanji would be "sho" and painted on the opposite side of the rim near the rear seam and strap loop.

PG-

Comment

Size Large, I Think

Originally posted by Dennis J View Post

GEAUX SAINTS!
                    Dennis J
                    To me, it looks like the kana コ is written over the kanji 大 (dai/large) — I can see the ends of each stroke, and their orientation looks normal when writing at a slight angle.

Comment

thank you for your help with this one!

indeed i believe this is a small size as i can see and have posted pictures of the sho 小 kanji stamped both on the inside rear rim and also stamped in dots on the inside leather liner band, under the wearer's right liner pad.

Comment

Originally posted by luftwaffenkopf View Post
                        thank you for your help with this one!

indeed i believe this is a small size as i can see and have posted pictures of the sho 小 kanji stamped both on the inside rear rim and also stamped in dots on the inside leather liner band, under the wearer's right liner pad.
                        I guess I couldn’t see the 小 on this tiny screen of mine.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X