Flag and Sake Cup with Type 89 Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flag and Sake Cup with Type 89 Tank

This is an interesting Japanese tank crew good luck flag captured on Okinawa by a U.S. Marine, June 1945.

The writing is 神武 必勝 梓隊 shinbu (god-given bravery) hisshō (must win) Azusa tai (Azusa tank unit).

The smaller four characters mean: "long live, bravery luck."

The tanks appears to be a stylized Type 89 I-Go (Yi-Go).

The flag is 70cm X 94cm
    Attached Files

This is a Japanese military sake cup, decorated with a Japanese tank.

The inscription appears to refer to Gongzhuling tank unit, in Manchuria (an army tank school was located there). The soldiers name was Yoko’o.

The tank is a a stylized Type 89 I-Go (Yi-Go).

Probably from the 1930's.

Size: 2.25” across
    Attached Files

Comment

This is a photo of a post card of the Gonzhuling Tank Company.
      Attached Files

Comment

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I think the drawing of the tank and the writing next to it are not authentic to the period. The writing is stilted and not well balanced, and crudely written. Compare that to the correct writing (authentic!) on the right margin.

— Guy
        Last edited by GHP; 01-03-2019, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Yeah, it does look a little gussied up with that extra bit on the flag. Tank does look cool, though. There is so little in the way of tank items to collect out there. I have a couple of armored unit diaries and a few techou, plus a couple of cups, but that is it. Aside from unissued tanker helmets and uniforms, plus the occasional cup and photo, it is scarce out there.

Tom

Comment

I had the opportunity to show the flag to former Professor Emeritus (Art) at California State University who is a Japanese American from Tokyo. He is the one who translated the characters on the flag.

I asked him “Is there any indication that the four smaller characters are not authentic to the period. Or that the writing is stilted, not well balanced or crudely written?”

He stated ”I think some soldier belonging to the tank unit wrote the four characters. Beyond that, I have no clue.”

Comment

Originally posted by Stiles View Post

He stated ”I think some soldier belonging to the tank unit wrote the four characters. Beyond that, I have no clue.”
              I cede to his expertise.

— Guy

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X