• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese Army Field hat

I have zero knowledge on these.
    This looks OK but...???
    Any help to be had?
    Following this thread are two threads on Japanese helmets.
    Thanx,
    Tim

PS- I have no idea on value on these but I paid a hunnert bucks.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

TP, it's definitely WWII Japanese, Nice quality of materials - thicker wool and good leather but the cheesecloth liner with no marking or label makes me think more civilian style. The bullion star speaks to an officer but usually an officer cap has a nicer lining on the inside. Could it be late war? Civilian with a star added? Civlian attached to the army? I think I would want to have some other collectors weigh in on the discussion too.
      Last edited by beretta1934; 12-30-2018, 01:27 AM.

Comment

Interesting cap and features. Agree with the previous member, probably civilian but better than usual quality. Of course, there is always the possibility that it was repurposed for officer use late in the war but normally, officer caps do not have these types of features .

Comment

Civilian hat with insignia added.

Regards

Russ

Comment

My initial thought, it’s not your standard enlisted mans field cap, and not an officer model but I could be wrong. Mike Hewitt’s book does show a similar enlisted man’s field cap with metal ventilation eyelets being worn by a Superior Private. Don’t see any thread-stitching loops on the side to attach the Havelock and most officers’ field caps would have cherry blossom side buttons.
            I’m also leaning towards it being a civilian field cap with added officer’s star. Still a nice field cap.
            Here’s some of my field caps with others sharing their field caps too,…http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ght=field+caps

Comment

Great collection Rodney!

The main differences between the one above and your officer caps are that the one above has hand stitched insignia when it should be machine-sewn, and the one above has two pairs of eyelets for size adjustment, and yours have 3 pairs. These are the main reasons why I think the one above is a civilian cap.

Regards

Russ

Comment

Thanks Russ, I tried to find Text Book Examples and was hard to stop with just one!!
                Must agree with you, Japanese militarism showed in their clothes as well. Tadao Nakata’s book has pages on Wartime civilian/student clothes and caps.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X