Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

inscriptions on helmet type 90

Hello everyone !

Can someone translate the inscriptions that are engraved on the inside edges of this Japanese type 90 helmet?

There is also the number 52 present next to the kanjis designating the size of the helmet, and the number 3350 inside the hull. Do you know what they mean?

Thank you very much

Man, that's a tough one!

The family name is Mura, but the given name looks like Iyakuma. I'm not too certain about the right-most kanji, but it has most of the elements of "kuma" .
    村 弥熊
    Mura Iyakuma

I am *not* confident of the given name Iyakuma/Iyokuma ... I can't find it doing a google search.

Now, if reading from right to left, we get a correct "Kumaya" given name:

Kumaya Mura

BUT .... the Japanese do not use the Western "First Name/Last Name" format when writing names.

--Guy

Comment

Well done Guy! Indeed this one is not easy. Thank you very much for finding the name!

For the other two isolated kanjis, do you have an idea?

Best regards.

Comment

Originally posted by Remka
        ...For the other two isolated kanjis, do you have an idea?
        The only one I can clearly see is and the bottom of that is rubbed off; but I'm fairly confident. The second kanji ...... ???? It could be either or -- but it has been so thoroughly rubbed away that I can't make it out. If you can see better at an angle, perhaps you can identify it as 村? There are pleanty of possibilities, but I'm looking at kanji that have the radical -- you can see the possibilites in the attachment.

BTW, the two possibilities I mentioned would be:
        • Chū'i = 2nd Lt
        • Nakamura = surname

Cheers,
        --Guy
        Attached Files

Comment

Thank you very much for your help. Yes it is almost impossible to know, there is so much possibility. I did not think he was so much rubbed off.

中尉 would mean "Lieutenant", which would be consistent, but we can not be sure ...

Best regards.

Comment

Please post pics of the entire helmet when time permits.

Comment

Hello,

Here are some photos :

Comment

Can't the two kanjis be "七中" ?

The stamped "52" is interesting. Is it for the size, as it's stamped in kanji next to it. Or could it be a manufacturer code ?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X