Japanese blade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese blade?

Looking for a little help. Sorry about the poor photo's, but I am at work and it is the best I could get right now from the guy who found this. Just looking for any information you can give me about this blade. Japanese items are something I know nothing about. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Yes, Type 98 Japanese Officer sword.

Comment

From these preliminary pictures I'm going to venture to say that it's a Showato made by machine in Mino province, probably in Seki. It's pre 1941 manufacture given it has a pierced tsuba.

The others will most certainly help you further from here on out.

vS

Comment

vS...I'm impressed. Whilst you could well be right, given that you've selected the most common category of wartime sword and maker, I'm struggling to see what supports your guess given the lack of decent pictures. Most notably of the tang.
        For a Seki smith, I'd expect to see a hamon based on sanbonsugi / gunome.

I would guess (and it's no more than that) from the pierced tsuba, (apparent?) imitation / celluloid same, which they frequently used and suguha hamon (think that's what I'm seeing?) it could be a Mantetsu sword. They also often have cord sarute.

Good game this. Put us out of our misery and post a photo of the tang.

Comment

Originally posted by Beater View Post
          vS...I'm impressed. Whilst you could well be right, given that you've selected the most common category of wartime sword and maker, I'm struggling to see what supports your guess given the lack of decent pictures. Most notably of the tang.
          For a Seki smith, I'd expect to see a hamon based on sanbonsugi / gunome.

I would guess (and it's no more than that) from the pierced tsuba, (apparent?) imitation / celluloid same, which they frequently used and suguha hamon (think that's what I'm seeing?) it could be a Mantetsu sword. They also often have cord sarute.

Good game this. Put us out of our misery and post a photo of the tang.
          Having owned many Japanese swords my immediate hunch was based only on the style of hamon. I have seen this in many Seki made Showato I have owned. It was only an educated guess.

Comment

Viewing the photos on an iPhone I see the Harmon as gunome not suguha
            I think the suguha is a result of a hadori polish
            We need to see the nakago

Comment

Originally posted by nickn View Post
              Viewing the photos on an iPhone I see the Harmon as gunome not suguha
              I think the suguha is a result of a hadori polish
              We need to see the nakago
              Yes Nick, on reflection, the photo of the monouchi area does appear to show gunome. So it probably originated from Seki. I should have gone to Specsavers!

Comment

Originally posted by vonStubben View Post
                Having owned many Japanese swords my immediate hunch was based only on the style of hamon. I have seen this in many Seki made Showato I have owned. It was only an educated guess.
                You’re probably right mate. I couldn’t even see the gunome, which is the best indication given the lack of photos of the tang.

Comment

rrobertscv,

We're all really anxious to see the tang on this one! Can you get the handle off for some pics?!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X