• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Batch of Japanese medic

Hello everyone,

I had this batch of japanese medic.
    The tropical helmet is in very good condition, it is dated 1944 (showa 19),
    could someone translate me the inscriptions on the labels and inside please?

The roll seems to be bandages, I've never seen anything like it. And I've never seen that kind of bag either, someone knows?

Thanks for your help.

The bag is marked "Japan Red Cross" and "Nagano branch" Bandage looks to be marked the same, but partially covered. Pith helmet is interesting with the red cross insignia -- dated to 1943, unissued.

Tom

Comment

Thank you for your answer Tom.

Indeed, in the helmet on the white label it is written 1943 in Kanjis, but on the small label in green below, I see clearly showa 19, ie 1944. It is strange.

Comment

Originally posted by Remka View Post
        Thank you for your answer Tom.

Indeed, in the helmet on the white label it is written 1943 in Kanjis, but on the small label in green below, I see clearly showa 19, ie 1944. It is strange.
        I don’t see the small green label with S19. The S18 is the date of manufacture and it was inspected at the Main depot; helmet was supplied by the 新井納 [Arai-No] contractor — that’s the small label that I’m seeing.

—Guy

Comment

I'm extremely skeptical that Red Cross is original to pith helmet.

Comment

Thank you Guy, indeed I thought I distinguished a "19" in the last kanjis ...

Jareth, why are you septic? It is probably an addition to mark the doctor's helmet.

About the bag, have you ever seen a similar bag? Do you know what it contained?

Best regards.

Comment

My reasons are as follows. First I've never seen one before in person or in period photos. Your pith helmet is a common , unissued/Un named army enlisted variation. There was a cache of these variations found in post war storage all without insignias attached. The size proportion of the Red Cross insignia looks too small & is likely not intended for a piece of headgear.

Comment

Originally posted by Jareth View Post
                My reasons are as follows. First I've never seen one before in person or in period photos. Your pith helmet is a common , unissued named army enlisted variation. There was a cache of these variations found in post war storage all without insignia attached. The size proportion of the Red Cross insignia looks too small & is likely not intended for a piece of headgear.

+1 Not original to the helmet. As Jareth said - a huge cache of these came in thru a California dealer and all had no insignia originally attached. Most you see usually these have a cloth bevo style late war IJA star just tacked unto them. Also many put together with a hollow backed, thin brass star attached. Identical helmet in white is out there too.

Pith helmet is 100% good - just insignia not correct
                Last edited by beretta1934; 10-14-2018, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for your opinions.

All this lot comes directly from Japan (helmet, bag and bandages). I had these three elements together.

Even if it is not regulatory, it is possible that the red cross is affixed to this helmet by the doctor I think. Why not ?

Best regards.

Comment

Latest time i see more and more bad or altered things from japan so that isn't proof even as a batch who knows when it was put togehter or not. For the helmet i agree with Jareth.
                    i have many original pictures of medics doctors vets … not one i saw this configuration imo postwar insignia on a good helmet.

Comment

The cache was discovered in Japan. A California dealer just bought most of them. But some stayed in Japan. Just like the mint tanker helmets few years ago. There is a big military show on Tokyo were dealers use to shop.

Beware of Japanese sellers. They like to add things to unissued item to make them more desirable and rise some quick $$$. Happends all the time with collar tabs on unissued jacket.

Thinking it was a medic helmet based on this little red cross insigna is just faithful wish or wild guess at best. The insigna itself is civilian IMO.

Medics were officer. This is an enlisted and NCO pith helmet. Enlisted and NCO were not allowed to make holes in the property of the Emperor.

The Nagano civilian red cross branch's bag may have been used to collect medical goods in Japan to send to the troops abroad. Supporting the war efforts. Items like bandages, gastric pills and various stuff.

To finish with a good note I found the long roll interesting because it is the type which was used to cover lots of materials. Like sword handles, shoulder straps, metal fittings etc ..

Comment

Thank you for the clarification.

I did not know Japanese medic needed to be an officer. So pith helmets for officers are different?

About bandages, can you tell me more about the utility of covering sword handles or shoulders straps? Have you seen this type of roll before?

Best regards.

Comment

Well in my mind a medic is someone who graduated in this field. In the army, even today, graduated people with upper skills have an officer rank.

Officers on the IJA had to buy their uniforms and sword. The few Japanese officers' pith helmets that I saw were taylor made. In this case, the uniform is not the property of the Emperor. And we could imagine some level of personnalisation. But I never witnessed fancy insignas or painting such as the painted red crosses on US or German helmets in any period pictures.

There were indeed enlisted soldiers in medical teams but I won't call them medic but rather "male nurses" (not sure if it's the proper word). Their uniforms were property of the Emperor and they had to stick to regulations. Insignas and collar tabs were often removed in combat, to not be spotted by ennemy. I don't see the point to put such insigna, even as small as this one. But to break the rules which could get you to be punished by your superior, if not killed by a sharp shooter. They already had a big red cross on their leather or web medical pouch.

Moreover, the pith helmet here is in mint, unissued condition. I am not even sure it received a star insigna. I saw some ghost of stiches so maybe it has one that have been removed. If it's the case it brings more questions than answer. Was the star sold separatly. Or the helmet used postwar ? Unfortunatly the item won't talk to answer it.

IMO insigna is more likely added post war on unissued helmet to make it "medic" and bring more cash. Easy money.

About the bandage tape now, the purpose on shoulder strap was to make it more confortable and prevent use of the uniform because of the leather rubbing against the fabric. On sword handle it was to protect the itomaki from dust, mud, blood or whatever that could have stained / damaged it. While keeping the sword useful. It would be very difficult to use the sword with the big full wheather handle cover for example, while the bandage tape is thiner and cheaper. They were common that's why you often see pieces used as surrending tag too. On metal fittings, it would reduce the noise when moving, and prevent it to shine.

Yes already seen this kind of roll popping up on the market from time to time. Not rare nor expensive. But still interesting and typical.

Please check period pictures you will see many examples.

Last edited by Staldion; 10-19-2018, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Thank you very much for your help Staldion, you brought me knowledge that I did not know. And the photos to support your explanations are superb.

Best regards.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X