Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese helmet

Hello all:

When I began collecting WW1 and WW2 helmets around 1996, this helmet was one of my first purchases.

I bought it from a dealer (no longer in business, I think) in the Shotgun News, who claimed that it was an original Japanese helmet, captured from a military warehouse on Okinawa.

Good story.

I was a young and inexperienced collector, the number of reference books I had on Japanese helmets was pretty slim (one volume, probably), and I didn't know that reproduction militaria was out and about, so I bought the story (and the helmet) hook, line, and sinker.

I no longer believe this to be an original WW2 issued helmet found in a military warehouse in Okinawa. I haven't believed that for a long time. But... what is it?

Is this an original shell that has been repainted and completed with a reproduction liner and chinstrap ties? Is it a newly made reproduction helmet made for Japanese reenactors? Is it a movie prop? Were restored helmets very common in the 1990's?

I'm asking because I want to sell this one, yet advertise it correctly.

How much is it worth to a reenactor?

Thanks,
    -- Kenny

Japanese helmet

The liner is completely mint and completely unmarked. The helmet shell has the manufacturer's and size stampings, and a white-painted size marking.

I have heard collectors talk about a Japanese company that used to make reproduction helmets back in the 90's (or earlier), but I don't know much about this stuff.

Anyone want to fill me in on the story?

-- Kenny

Comment

Kenny,

Thanks for posting the photos of your helmet on the forum.

I am of the opinion that the shell could be an original World War II shell, but that the liner, chin straps and insignia are reproductions and that the paint was recently (i.e., in the 1990s) applied.

I think I have seen more of these helmets today than I did back in the 1990s. The helmets (and a bunch of other Japanese militaria) are being made in Japan today by a number of manufacturers who make the items for the Japanese re-enactors market (and for movies too). The reproduction items (that are made in Japan) are not typically exported to the West. (I.e., one would have to purchase these items in Japan or have someone in Japan purchase the items and then send the items to you.)

Similar helmets are being sold here in the States for $149.99. (Helmets were purchased in Japan and brought back to the States for resale.)

Hope this helps.

Eric
      Last edited by Eric Doody; 04-11-2005, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Japanese reproductions

Eric:

Thanks for your comments. I, too, believe this to be an original shell that was stripped, repainted, and re-lined with reproduction parts during the 1990's.

I remember finding a website of an American collector who published an occasional monograph on various items of Japanese militaria. On his website, he mentioned the name of a company that used to create high-end helmet reproductions for collectors. These included the standard combat helmet as well as tank helmets and paratrooper helmets.

Now, however, I can't find the website, nor any of the notes I made to myself about this subject.

Do you know anything specific about this topic or about this Japanese company?

Thanks,
        -- Kenny

Comment

Kenny,

Tadao Nakata is the one that you are probably thinking of. Mr. Nakata has been making reproduction Japanese militaria for many years and is well known throughout the hobby. Mr. Nakata makes his items for the Japanese re-enactor and movie markets. His items are very well made and each and every year he comes out with something new. His reproduction helmets sell for 13,000 yen which is roughly $130 USD according to a 2004 catalog that I have of his. I believe his main store is located in Tokyo and I do not believe that he has a web site as of this point in time.

Hope this helps.

Eric

Comment

Nakata's store is indeed based in Tokyo and his equipment really is top notch, im thinking about getting one of his helmets because they are quite a good price

Comment

OT but does anyone have contacts in Red China for steel helms?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X