MilitariaPlaza

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help - is this a true or false yosegaki hinomaru ( japanese flag?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help - is this a true or false yosegaki hinomaru ( japanese flag?)

Hello friends!

I found this flag on ebay and I suspect most of the items on sale there, in the case of this flag my lack of knowledge in Japanese calligraphy increased my mistrust.

Could someone help by telling me what is written? Does it seem to be original?

Best regards!

Good! Nice flag.

Comment

We can definitely date this flag from 1941!

祈武運長久
      Wishes for Continued Luck in the fortunes of war

大西友三郎君
      Gifted to: Ōnishi Tomosaburō-kun

同志社総長
      Doshisha President

牧野虎次
      Masano Toraji

According to the Japanese Wiki, Masano was the Sōchō (president) of Doshisa University from July 1941. Prior to that, he was the university prinicpal ( I do not understand the difference).

1938年9月 - 同志社大学長
      1941年7月 - 同志社総長

--Guy
      Attached Files
      Last edited by GHP; 08-16-2018, 09:57 AM. Reason: Forgot to add 為

Comment

Wow! is much more information than I expected! Many thanks Guy!

Comment

Very fine flag. Nicely filled out and pleasing to the eye.

Regards,
          Stu

Comment

To the left of Ōnishi Tomosaburō's name is a quote; I found it explained on Doshisa University's page:

「良心の全身に充満したる丈夫(ますらお)の起り来らん事を」

同志社大学から「精神なき専門家」(マックス・ウェーバー)や、「良心なき逸材」を生むつもりはありません でした。「同志社大学設立の旨意」で、「一国の良心」を育成したい、と謳ったのもそのためといえます。新島 は一学生への手紙の中で「良心の全身に充満したる丈夫(ますらお)の起り来(きた)らん事を」 (良心が全身に充満した青年が現れることを)望んでやまない、と書いています。
            この一節は、新島が期待する生徒像を鮮明にあらわしています。この言葉は「良心碑」に彫られ、同志社大学正 門近くを始め、日米に9基存在しています。「良心教育」が同志社の建学の精神です。

I did not intend to produce "experts lacking spirit" (Max Weber) and "lacking conscience" from Doshisha University. That is why I declared that I would like to foster a "conscience of one country" as the "Doshisha University founder's intention". Nijima writes in a letter to a student, "I have come up with a sturdy young man (masurao) full of conscience."

This passage clearly shows the student image that Niijima expects. These words were engraved in a "conscience monument" near the main gate of Doshisha University and there are nine in Japan and the United States. "Conscience education" is the spirit of Doshisha's construction.
            It is interesting the kanji 丈夫 shows it to be read as "masurao". Ordinarily, it is read as "jobu" and means "healthy; robust; strong; solid; durable"; this is familiar to us as the phrase 丈夫 "daijobu" (okay, all right). However, when read as masu-ra-o, it means "hero; manly person; warrior."

So since this quote looks like university president Masano's handwriting, he is telling young Mr. Ōnishi that he thinks Ōnishi is an heroic young man of conscience.

Cool beans!
            --Guy

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X