Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese A6M Zero compass for estimate

Hello everyone !

Could you give me your opinion to estimate this compass please?

Thank you very much.

Quite often instruments were used in many different aircraft. Are you certain this was specifically & only for zero? Also I've never seen a hand written paper attached.

Comment

九二式空航羅針儀二型
      Type Ninety-two air navigation compass Model 2

Found this:
      Compass, Type 92 Model 2, Japanese Navy Aircraft

This is a WWII-era direct reading magnetic compass,Type 92 Model 2, made by Yokogawa Electric Corporation for aircraft of the Japanese Navy. The Type 92 was primarily used in aircraft such as the Mitsubishi A6M5 Zero fighter, see photo of a Zero instrument panel showing the compass location. It was also used in the Nakajima B5N2 Kate torpedo bomber.

There is a panel which, when unscrewed by turning the two knurled knobs at the bottom and opened, reveals a lamp for illuminating the compass and the compass correction adjustment mechanism, which can be pulled out. The compass correction card, not included, slips into the frame on the front of the panel.

A directional indicator is set in a peripheral frame around the compass lens. There is an adjustment screw a the 5 o'clock position for rotating the course card from 0-360 degrees, but it no longer functions.
      Attached image from website.

--Guy
      Attached Files

Comment

Great & speedy info Guy!

Comment

These actually are fairly common as far as WWII Japanese compasses go and several are listed on Ebay. If you search there you can find current listings and ASKING prices. Asking prices are not value - that is determined by "selling/sold" prices. Search closed ones to find if any have sold lately.

The compass card looks like a handmade repro - the real ones are printed and are often present.

The melted looking plastic knob on the right side turns the inner dial to set your desired heading (0-359 degrees) at the top of the circle. Then the pilot flies in a manner and direction where the inner, floating dial lines up with the upper "heading" value. The numbers must "match" and that is how the correct heading is maintained. The inner dial is merely a place/way to mechanically "record" the heading instead of writing it down on a knee pad tablet or such. (ie - its not an autopilot of any sort)

This are nice display pieces due to the vertical orientation of the dial and that they are IJN and associated with a Zero

Congrats - if you own it yet

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for all this additional information!

About his estimate, I see a lot of different prices (including over $ 800 on eBay) but I do not know if these prices are correct or not since the objects do not sell.

And considering the flaws you listed beretta1934, I guess the price is not the same.

Best regards.

Comment

IMO this is in the $400-$500 range max. I bought a minty one, in the wooden box with matching numbers on the data plates, with the electrical lighting cable, and a few accessories for $,1000 - but it was unbelievably complete and rare to find with all of that!

Comment

Ok beretta1934, thank you very much for your estimation.

Best regards.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X